Chapter 19 • Happy Birthday

It seems that Harry and I can't go a week without seeing each other, apparently. It's been seven days since our date last Saturday and even though we both talked over the phone and texted everyday this week, nothing compares to actually being with him.

And the way he hugged me when I met him at his place a little while ago proves he feels the same way I do.

"Are you still sure you want me there? You can just drop me and Maggie off at a nearby coffee shop, if you'd like."

"Are you kidding?" I glance over at him, quickly turning my attention back to the road. "Yes, I'm sure and no, I'm not dropping you two off at a coffee shop, silly. We are on our way to Emmet's birthday party where you're gonna meet my best friends and we're all gonna have a grand time eating Mexican food and the birthday cake I bought and most importantly, they're gonna love you."

I clear my throat at the L word, pulling into the driveway of the restaurant. From the looks of the nearly full lot, it's busy inside and I mentally pat my back for reserving a booth last week.

"I'm worried I'll embarrass you."

I exhale a frustrated breath at his ridiculous words, slowly pulling into a vacant space. I put the gearshift in Park and turn off the engine to where it's finally silent, with the exception of Maggie's panting in the backseat.

Harry and I simultaneously take off our seatbelts and I turn in my seat to face him, placing my hand on his.

"Harry, I need your full attention right now, please," I say and he turns his head to face me. His dark sunnies make it difficult for me to see through them so I can see his eyes, but I still look at him as if he can see me. "You don't embarrass me, nor does your visual impairment. In case you forgot, I really, really like you, and they're gonna like you, too. In fact, I might have to fight Emmet for you."

The hint of a smirk teases his lips and I gently squeeze his hand.

"Now, would you and Maggie like to go inside Casa Del Sol with me to celebrate my friend's birthday?"

"Hm, when you put it like that, I guess it doesn't sound so frightening."

"That's right," I agree, lifting his hand to my cheek.

The smirk on his face lets me know he took my hint and he leans over the seat closer to mine. I close my eyes and feel his lips brush against mine before capturing them in a sweet kiss.

"I'll get Maggie then I'll get the cake from the back. I might have to make two trips with the gift, though."

"I can help carry something for you. I even have a card for him."

"You do? Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so surprised. You're a very thoughtful person."

"JJ, love, you told me we're going to a birthday party and you expected me to not bring anything?" he playfully tsks me, making me giggle.

"Well, to be fair, you've never met him. I wouldn't have blamed you if you didn't get him a card."

"It's the nice thing to do," he shrugs his shoulders.

"Very true," I agree, opening my door. "I'll hurry."

"Take your time," he says just as I close the door and I walk around to the other side.