12

12

I led the way into the house and turned away every time he tried to touch me because I wanted him to know I was mad. Once inside, I dragged him into one of the kitchen barstools and told him to stay put while I left the room. I was kind of surprised when I saw him sitting obediently when I returned with the first aid kit - Dave wasn't usually one to take orders.

I still wouldn't talk to him as I cleaned his cuts and ignored when he grabbed my thigh from the antiseptic stinging. I thought back to when we'd been in this exact position before, when he came home after a fight.

It took half an hour to stitch up his head and wipe all the dried blood from his mouth and nose and I was just putting everything back in the kit when his hands rested on my hips gently.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry you had to see me like that. But I can't let anyone talk about you like that, I care about you so much and Sanders is too shallow to see that. Please don't let him come between us, I was stupid for letting him get to me, but you're my girl and I have to protect you."

I looked down into his eyes which were filled with love and sadness. I remembered when they had been empty and he had scared me. He looked so vulnerable in this moment and as much as I couldn't bear seeing him hurt, I put my hands around his neck as he pulled me onto him.

"Promise me you won't ever fight again, at a club or on the street?" I whispered, not realising I was crying.

He moved his hands up to cup my face and wiped my tears away with his thumbs.
"I promise," he nodded, pressing his lips to my forehead.
"I never wanna see you sad or hurt baby, I - I love you."

My eyes widened at his words and he pulled away after a minute when I didn't say anything.
"I'm sorry, Gracie, I shouldn't have said that-"
"I love you too!"

He grinned and grabbed my face hard to kiss me. His hands travelled under my dress and I didn't stop when they squeezed my ass. Soon my legs were wrapped around his hips and we were backed into a wall. Clothes were scattered everywhere and we were filled with too much lust to move to the bedroom so made love right there. I wasn't complaining.

Dave had stayed true to his word and a month later, he hadn't been in a single fight. His job was going well too and our relationship was perfect. James had accepted us finally because he could see that I was genuinely happy and he said I was good for Dave . Everything was perfect.

Until I threw up one morning.

It was early so I was alone in the bathroom and I thought I'd locked the door, but I heard someone come in behind me and felt then hold my hair back as I threw up into the toilet.

"Babe, what happened?"

"I- I feel sick."

"I can see that, love. Did you eat something dodgy?"

I shook my head and he kissed it before I unloaded my guts again. Fifteen minutes later I felt better and showered to clean up.

"Wish I could have joined you," Dave smirked as he handed me my towel and pulled me into a tight embrace.

"I wouldn't get close if I have a bug," I mumbled, but he'd already scooped me up and carried me back to bed.

"Nonsense," he said, kissing my forehead and rubbing my back until I fell back asleep.