13

13

Neither of us had work so we slept in till midday and spent the day watching films. I felt a lot better so Jason said it was probably something I ate, because a big would have lasted longer.

I didn't think anything of it until a few weeks later when I realised I hadn't had my period in a while. I didn't want to scare Dave because I didn't know anything for certain, so I went to the pharmacy and bought two pregnancy tests.

I waited until I was at work, so I would have some privacy in the bathroom and took the tests. Shaking uncontrollably, I peered down at the plastic sticks in my hand.

Pregnant

I did the second one and the results were the same.

"Gracie, are you alright in there?" my manager called.

"I think I'm sick, I don't want to infect the customers so can I take the evening off please? I'll work overtime next week I promise."

She sent me home without question, luckily I had a kind boss and she was very understanding because normally I worked overtime without pay.

I couldn't even drive because I was shaking so much, so I pulled over and just sat in silence.

Pregnant? I couldn't be. I was on the injection so I had contraception for three months, and we made sure we used a condom every time in case of STDs. The only thing that could have happened is if the condom split and I was the unlucky 1%.

I didn't know how I was going to tell Dave so I decided to keep this to myself until I knew for certain. The results could be wrong and I could just be paranoid, so I tried to put it out of my head.

"Babe, are you okay? You haven't been yourself recently and I'm worried about you," Dave asked worriedly one night. I wanted to tell him but I couldn't face it.

"Yeah I'm fine, sorry I'm just stressed."

He kissed my neck and worked his way down, I stopped him before he got too far and he looked up at me.

"Not tonight."

He nodded and pulled me into a hug, stroking my hair and kissing my for head lovingly. How did I get so lucky? We made small talk for a while before I couldn't take it anymore.

"I think I'm pregnant."

Dave froze and sat up, the loss of contact made me send more nervous, he was my safe base.

"What?"

"I haven't had my period in a while and remember when I threw up that morning and we thought it was food poisoning. I was worried so I took a test and it said positive so I took another and it said positive too. It could be a mistake-"

"It's gonna be a mistake is it? All the signs are there. Don't be naïve, Gracie," Dave snapped and I didn't know what to say.

"Dave?"

"I need some time to process this. I'll be out until tomorrow, don't wait up for me."

He took his phone and coat and left. I stared at the door for a good five minutes after he'd gone and couldn't stop the tears. He was supposed to support me through this, not walk out when things got hard.

I didn't know what to do - I didn't want to tell James about this because he'd worry himself sick, and there was no way I could tell his parents because I had such a good relationship with them and this would ruin it. In the end, I cried myself to sleep.