Chapter One

The ballroom was ornate and lavish. The ceiling vaulted high above, and from the balcony that ringed the expansive room, one could see the rhythmic pattern of the dancers below. Each couple moved in unison and seemed to follow a coordinated pattern with all of the other couples around them. The movements produced a satisfying display. On the one hand, it was appealing to note that the formation maintained equidistances between each dancing couple. And the flow of the dancing couples, as they gracefully whirled and glided around the floor, followed the elliptical shape of the room. It was celestial-like and balanced, implying there were forces at work. It was striking to think that these dozens of couples all had such polished skills. From its ideal appearance, it almost appeared programmed.

And, in fact it was programmed. Rather, it was the coordination of a number of programs, each representing one of the dancers. The program representing the setting, the costumes and the other fine details, down to the flowing drinks, and passing hors d'oeuvres, was supplied by only one individual, the host, Lola Villasenor. At one end of the room, Lola descended a wide, red marble staircase to the balcony level, just as the live orchestra completed the piece.

The dancers all took notice of her elegant gown and her handsome partner, wearing black tails, and they gave her an ovation, to which she bowed and waved. The whole thing seemed overdone, right out of a Shakespearean play, but why not? With all the time in the world, and possibilities limited only by one's imagination, these diversions were thoroughly enjoyed by those willing to participate.

Between dances, the orchestra played on and senses were doused in conversation, fine champagne and tasty delights. "Man this is something. She never disappoints. I mean, if you like these kinds of gatherings, which I obviously do." Laszlo smiled at his date, Abby, and she returned the smile as they toasted and scanned the room.

"Well, she's old school. I mean, all the stuff she comes up with, she probably actually did it on Earth."

"Nah, you read her memoirs.  Nothing about this kind of thing. But I agree. She had a lot of time to experience or at least read about it when she was young. Not like us."

"Maybe she did do it. We all know about each other, but only based on what we have revealed about ourselves. For example," Abby smiled as she recollected one of her deep secrets, "I tried to be a dancer when I was in elementary school. But I really sucked at it. But now look at me. I'm a great dancer."

"Well you were just old enough to have something like a normal childhood. At least for a while."

"You on the other hand were in a lab, practically from the time you could speak. Poor baby."

"Yeah, I'm young. You know what? You look pretty hot for an older woman. It is our thirty thousandth date and we seem to hit it off. How about we try something later."

"You mean?"

"Uh huh."

"Oh, I don't know. I usually just do my own thing in that regard."

"You see? That's the problem these days. We find diversion in the past, except for what it was really like. I'm one of the youngest. But in that regard, I'm old school. Let's do it. I'll get us a suite at The Ritz."

Abby laughed heartily, then looked at Laszlo waiting for him to admit that he was joking. But he remained transfixed, expecting her answer. "Okay." Abby then broke out in laughter again. It was the first time in a century where she felt as though there was more than just science to discover.

A bell chimed and all attention was back to Lola, as this signaled that she would now address her guests. "Thank you all for coming. The turnout for this is rather small compared to bowling night." Laughter erupted from the crowd.  "But these kinds of parties are my attempt to create an accurate and exciting experience, with all of the sights and sounds and flavors. It really feels like I'm back on earth again."