Epilogue

Future possibility is arguably the only thing worth living for. Taken to the limit, future possibility extends way out, deep into the near-infinite space of possibility. What is it about the human mind that causes some of us to push ourselves to envision how the world might end and what might happen beyond that? I have no answer for it.

Here is a beginning to a story. Within the space of possibility, this is one way that the Earth might end and under the "Many Worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics. I suppose it is one of the ways the Earth will end, although I hope not for us. It requires an open mind and certainly a sense of humor.

Meltdown in Reykjavik

"Val, I want to establish your prime directive."

"Yes, Bigelow. Thank you. Please proceed."

"I want you to cover the entire surface of the Earth with chocolate frosting."

"Yes, Bigelow. The directive is understood. Do you wish to specify parameters."

"What parameters do you need?" Bigelow was a little miffed, bothered by the prospect that he might have to explain something in more detail.

"Does this directive have to be completed by a certain date?"

"No."

"Do you require the use of real Cacao beans or can the frosting be flavored artificially?"

"What? Gross! Of course it needs to have real chocolate."

"Are there any other ingredients in the recipe that you would like to specify?"

"Such as...?"

"Real dairy? Or, can it use non-dairy replacement items?"

"Real dairy only!" Bigelow snapped, losing patience.

"How about sugar? Corn syrup? Cane sugar? Beet sugar? Artificial sweeteners?"

"Cane sugar only. And, I want everything organic."

"How thick should the layer of frosting be?"

"Now, that's a good question. Better make it a mile thick. Otherwise, what's the point?"

"Thank you. Please give me the authorization to begin."

Bigelow Chan paused. He was mentally confused and not even clear about what he had just said. Aw, what the hell. "Yes. Go. Get started immediately." With that, Bigelow stumbled out of the immense lab and through the long hallway toward the exit. He exited the building, which he rarely did, and felt the extreme chill of the Icelandic winter night. Normally, he would take internal walkways to reach the underground high speed rail back to the city. But deep down he knew that he had just done something very irresponsible and had the urge to flee the building. Outside, he became a little disoriented but then he saw the lights in the distance. It was the station entrance. He turned and pressed against the biting wind.

There was no one around. It was late. But Bigelow knew that there were always trains. He picked up his pace, eager to close the distance to the station and get warm. But it was a long way off. Several hundred meters. His lungs burned under the extreme conditions. Unaccustomed to being outside, Bigelow only had a thin jacket and no hat or gloves. He started to realize that he was perhaps endangering himself in this poorly considered plan to get home. Just as he thought it might be better to turn back, he walked onto an extremely smooth patch of ice and immediately lost his footing and fell backwards landing squarely on his back. The impact also brought his big head down hard on the ice. He was knocked unconscious.

Val organized her internal resources and within seconds of receiving the order to start, she had roughly calculated the high level requirements. Meanwhile simulations and models ran in the background, ever increasing the precision and details needed to carry out her prime directive.