Chapter Fifteen

I thought I could prevent destruction.

Little did I know I'd return to the tribunal, placing myself right in the midst of the aftermath of it. My eyes scan what little is still upright in the room I left, my boots snapping shards of broken glass with my feet as I turn.

I've been standing here for a few minutes now. At first, opening my eyes, I dreaded something had happened to them. They were just here, just bent over me, trying to get me warm. There was no broken bed, no toppled wardrobe, no crumbling of the walls.

Now, I know that they are fine... physically.

I also know that it wasn't an enemy that did this.

It was Elijah.

Feeling the torment rooted deep within my body, I know it was him, only able to imagine what he thought, what overcame him when I was summoned. I can see clearly how he reacted.

I'm sure if I had breath to breathe, I'd be hyperventilating right now. I'd be inconsolable. I'd lock myself in this room, knowing this would be the only place where the people I cared about wouldn't come to harm.

You have one hour. Say your farewells.

Riveted to the destruction, the raging visualization of Elijah's faith tested, I clasp the necklace resting above my breasts, wishing the cross did anything for me.

"Oh god," I whisper to myself, unable to stop the shaking.

I have to betray my heart now. I have to leave my home, the only man I've ever considered home. My protector. My best friend. The mirror to my fucking soul.

The fact that it's three months doesn't matter. No time would. We are not meant for separation. Our bodies don't know how to handle it. I was driven mad by it less than a year ago.

I feel his proximity even though he's far from me, locked in a room while his progenies huddle outside the door, waiting for their master to quell his temper.

The simmering energy he is emanating reaches me across the ancient building.

He is lost in his anger, his hopelessness. He's so lost he hasn't realized I've returned yet.

On the way out of the room, my eyes catch sight of the chipped bowl leaking warm water onto the floor, the rags thrown about, landed like fallen leaves all over the room. The hallways are empty now. We've sent everyone away, off to perform useless missions. The murders we committed in these halls haunt me as I pass through the corridors, letting my legs guide me to what I'm looking for.

One hour.

Paris sees me first, blanching, and the Erika and Damien follow suit. I'm so terrified I can hardly acknowledge them, and they don't press me to either. It must be written all over my face. They step aside when I'm close enough, giving me a clear walkway to the door concealing Elijah.

I wonder if they catch the way my dewy hand trembles as I flick my fingers, unlocking the door, pushing it open, unable to waste time reveling in what I should say, what I should look like.

I made a deal with the devil. In one hour, I must return to him.

There is no lie to me told here. Just harrowing truth.

I recognize the room in an instant, remnant of old memories, the day everything changed for us. I can still see Akan, face-to-face with his master, see the discord in his eyes. I can remember the sound the blade made when Elijah struck it into his chest, already anticipating he'd been betrayed.

Even though the floor is clean, I see the rivers of blood that came from him and seeped into the cracks of stone, permanently tainting this room with the putrid stench of death.