Chapter Twenty

"You are unusually pleasant today," Samael observes, bringing a gold chalice to his lips, drinking in a cupful of perfect wine. I've been busy shooting arrows into a target, a pastime that puts me at ease.

He's spent most of the time watching me consume time with weapons, seated casually on the countertop catty-cornered against two walls of his massive gymnasium, if that is even what you can call it. It's a glamorous attempt at a place of exercise. I doubt anyone is in need of being here often.

After all, everyone with access is technically dead... including me.

"I'm always pleasant. You just bring out the worst in me."

He chuckles. "I honestly don't try to."

"Yeah, it just comes naturally to you."

"Hey, that's a low blow."

I release the pull-rope and the flexible arrow slams into the target, which swings back and forth from the force of impact.

"You are educated on weaponry," Samael states over the lingering ringing sound that is coming from the rocking board. "Combat too."

"I am."

"He taught you well."

I nod, seriously, wondering why he's bringing him up. "Elijah's the best fighter I've ever seen."

"Yes, he is very skilled. He ought to be. He's fought enough wars for it."

Unnerved that he knows so much about the both of us, I direct my attention back to the target practice, which is no practice at all. I can bulls-eye the damn thing every time.

"Usually, this is one of my ways to impress someone of my skills," he says, watching the wine churn and swirl in his cup under the direction of his wrist.

"I bet it works too."

"Fail-proof, for sure." With a smile, he sighs, leaning back. "It's difficult to understand your passions."

"Passions?"

"Things you desire, need, want. I'm already aware of your desire for the vampire. I'm sure you know what I'm meaning. Things you enjoy doing, listening to... what you do for fun. Those kinds of passions."

"Ah, well, that's easy. I never had any."

"None?"

"I didn't have the luxury. I could have given a damn about concerts or dinner dates with friends. I worked so I could keep a roof over my head and I fucked for therapy. That's it. You should already know that."

"Well, as much as you seem to believe it, I didn't spend the entire twenty-five years of your life watching your every movement. I've been slightly busy."

"I'm glad to hear it."

"Enlighten me on this therapy of yours."

"Shut up."

He laughs when I hit him. "No, I'm really curious."

"I'm sure you are."

I lay down the bow on the counter beside him, removing my gloves. "Is there anything you're actually going to show me today? Something productive maybe?"

"I'm trying to get to know you."

"Because that will somehow suddenly make us friends?"

"I think we're already friends. I think you like me, and you hate that. What's more is you've been here over a week now, and you're clearly beginning to warm to this small piece of heaven."