One step toward the future

Cherep now named Skull was able to enter the circus to his joy. Socializing was never his strong point and the people in the circus could also see it, fortunately they were understanding about it and instead of ignoring him they talked to him and tried to improve his social skills.

Skull was happy to see that here was different from where he was back then. People here actually talked to him and tried to figure him out and wouldn't give up even if he said nothing.

There was also one of the circus employee whose name was Maria, he was the one doing the stunts on a motorcycle. He knew that Skull was struggling on socializing and decided to teach him something.

"Skull, even thought you did open to us a bit. You still seem to be disconnected from the world."

Skull said nothing and looked at Maria with curiosity in his eyes.

"And you know the circus does a lot of interactions with the world, so I will teach you a thing, or rather give you a hint"

"What is the hint?" Skull asked interested

"To fake it all, to create a mask." He said as he stretched on finger toward Skull and booped his nose.

"Fake it all?" He repeated Maria's words.

"That's right, I'm pretty sure you already did it one time. So, what you need is to create your own mask to the public, a mask that will deceive people. I know the way I said it make it sound like bad, but it will be useful."

"Why a mask?" Skull asked.

"Because if you have a mask you will be able to know what people are waiting for you. Acting like a idiot will make people's guard fall down and depending on what they say to you they may look down on you or just be exasperated." Maria explained as he smiled.

Skull nodded as he thought that it was exciting.

"Do you have a mask then Maria?" He asked curiously while nervously fiddling his clothes.

Maria stopped talking and looked at Skull with mysterious eyes and an unreadable grin.

"Maybe I do have a mask, maybe I don't. Never tell anyone about your mask, it wouldn't be fun if someone knew right?"

Skull thought about before cracking a smile and nodded his head.

"So... can you teach me how to have a mask?"

"Of course~! But you will have to be taught different things too as well!" He said with overwhelming excitement.

"What are the other things?" Skull asked a bit confused.

"You need to create as well personalities, masks, learn how to read expressions and physical movements, because if you want to be a fake you have to do it perfectly but not too perfect because otherwise some people will notice that you are unreal. Oh and there's as well mathematics, languages..." He started to ramble.

"Wait!" Skull cut him.

"Will I really be able to do it? It seems a lot to me..." he explained as he looked down on the floor.

"How do you know it if you haven't even tried?" Maria asked with amusement in his voice.

"Because of.... before." He said as he looked away.

"Just because you were bad at school doesn't mean you are a complete failure and idiot. Some kids can't seem to put work and school together even thought they are interested in learning. Everyone can do it if they have the perfect person to teach them or if they know what they are doing!!" He said happily as he grabbed Skull's hand.

'Why don't you try?'

'I don't think I'm able to do it'

'You should at least try, you don't even know if it will be a failure. I say it would be worth it'

'If you say so....'

"Then, please teach me Maria!" He asked with hopes.

Maria grinned as he said "Of course little pumpkin" He said before pulling him out of the tent with a big laugh.

Skull never regretted being taught by Maria and was forever thankful to him. All those years he passed studying on something he would give up because he couldn't do it, he was able to do it with Maria.

Maria was not too strict and not too soft with him, just the necessary to not let him feel worthless. Motivation was also the key to success, without it, it would be like solving a problem without having all the clues which could lead to a failure.

Maria was very patient with him, didn't looked at him with disappointment when he made lots of mistakes.

In the space of four years he was able to perfect everything he needed to know.

Creating a mask was in the first lesson. After thinking about it for a long time he decided to be the opposite of what he was, to be cheerful, bubbly, loud and arrogant. The type of personality that would draw some people in or make them go the other way, not ignore him.

And it worked, slowly, at first it could be seen that he was a fake but little by little, it seemed like it was his real face. Even people on the circus thought that Skull just opened up to them. Skull was impressed and even let go of his mask to tell Maria about how amazing it was.

Now, he was different from what he was, he had a mask that could not be seen through it. If he wanted to change to a different person he could.

That was the art of the mask.

Sadly, Maria passed away in a show. Skull listened to his mentor words and continue to do what he wanted to do.

One year later he got into an accident which caused him to have purple flames. The circus kicked him out after noticing those flames but weren't heartless to the point of not giving a reason. They explained to him what it really was and gave him warnings before they went away.

That was the last day Skull met them.

Skull who never trusted anyone didn't felt sad about it, after all those lessons with Maria he knew what to do and how to act. Trust was also part of the lesson, Maria explained to him that the friendliest people could be the one stabbing at your back, and that trusting someone too much could lead to getting yourself hurt.

Skull understood that and decided to not trust anyone when it came to feelings. Emotions were a strong things and could not be lightly taken. That was why when the circus told him to get out, he didn't felt depressed because he did not trust them emotionally.

At least he felt complete thanks to the flames and he decided to continue stunts on his own way.