|25|

Torint

     The night is chilly, but I am not shivering. I am heated from the inside with resolve. The females need to be rescued, we need to find them. When the buildings come into view, I discover that tench of the males is stale.

     "We approach with caution. We do not know if they have weapons." Elik says, always the leader. We nod, and move in, not wasting any time. There are three buildings in total, and we go around to the second one. The place where I found my Posy was empty other than the males that I slaughtered.

     I didn't think to check the other buildings, I just wanted to get my mate back in our den, safe and sound. It is a miracle that my team arrived here just in time to help me rescue the rest of the unlucky females who ran into the evil males.

     We waste no time in surrounding a building, sniffing around and peering into the glass windows just to be careful.

     "The scent is stale. They must have fled after you killed the others." Umner guesses, and it's most likely what we are all thinking. I assume the pathetic things ran scared after finding the gore I left behind for them.

     "Let's hope they didn't take the females with them." Tillip says under his breath, hoping that we are lucky and find them. If not, I am guessing we will hunt the males down.

     Elik gives the signal, allowing us to move forward. We rush into the building. It's dim, messy, as if they left in a hurry. Various possessions lay scattered. The old smell of males is on everything. There are nests, food, clothing. Anything you would have in a standard den. This is where they lived.

     Our leader lets out a gruff growl.

     "Check everywhere. Tillip and I will search the next building." We nod our agreement, going through the large place with keen eyes.

     The females could be anywhere. I sniff in large amounts of air to pick up any scent they may have left behind. I lift blankets, kick over containers, sparing no space. There is no sign of females anywhere.

     I feel myself growl. I can only pray that they didn't take them. The miserable things, they will pay if I can help it.

     "Find anything?" Yatik calls, Umner and I both answer in groans.

     "No. This den is disgusting. I pity the females that had to endure this." Umner says, shaking his head. I agree, but I know how much worse it could have been for the females. They must have suffered greatly at the hands of the awful excuses for males. I doubt they are any better than the ones who took my mate.

     I remember the words of the older male before I ended him. He claimed females are useless, expendable. If they really only care about their own gain, how far are they willing to go? The thought worries me, and I stop my imagination from wandering.

     The males are barbarians. Scum. Worthless. 

      "Let's go. I think they found something." Yatik tells us, running out of the front door in haste. I stop searching and follow after him. Umner trips over something in his hurry to get out.

    I sprint with my team to the next building, a much smaller place, and before I make it through the entrance I'm already choking on the putrid stench. It makes my eyes water, what could it possibly be? It is unbearable.

     When I enter the dark space, the smell is everywhere, mixed with something distinctly female. I stop where I stand.

     We found them. We really found them.

     It's only now that I register the sound of sobbing. The more my eyes adjust, the more horror I feel. There are cages, cages with bars. A small, scraggly female is cradled in Elik's arms. His dark eyes are furious, confused, helpless.

     The small human clutches at him, crying out as tears roll down her dirty face. Our leader is crouched over her with careful hands.

     Tillip places a hand on my shoulder, a grim expression on his face.

     "There are three of them, but one is dead." He murmurs, and I cannot look away from the scene. A dead female lays with her eyes open and unseeing in the bottom of a cage. Another female is shivering in the corner of her cage, huddled by herself and looking terrified as Umner rips the door off the prison.

     "You are free, female." He tells her, but she stays where she is. She is terrified.

     I know what the smell is, finally. Other than the obvious smell of death, there is so much fear here. Evil. It takes up the whole space of the tiny building. It's everything, everywhere.

     Umner tries to coax the little thing out, but she refuses.

     "We are safe. Come out of there." He insists, gentle and yet exasperated at the same time.

     "She cannot understand what you're saying." Yatik explains, shaking his head. Umner shrugs, dejected.

     "What happened here?" Tillip asks, his eyes growing wide with sadness at the awfulness that lays before us. There is so much pain here. So many questions remain unanswered.

     We will find out. We will survive. It is what we do.

     The females will be cared for, taken away from the planet that betrayed them. They are in such a fragile state. Their futures are bright, but the shadows of the past might threaten to snuff out that light.

      I sober when I realize how much worse off Posy could've been. It is truly a miracle that I saved her. This is not right. Earth is not right.

     The only thing to save each other is to exit this foul planet. I cannot wait to leave.

So, we have a few new readers with us

So, we have a few new readers with us. Hello! Welcome to my book, hope you enjoy your stay, grab a drink, check out my other books, enjoy yourself lol.

I try to update often, which tends to be about 2 chapters a week. Commenting "PLZ UPDATE NOW" won't make it happen faster. Sorry ¯\ _()_/¯

Anyway, enjoy your week my beautiful readers! I love you all❤️