About Poetry

Hello aesthetes!
This chapter will go into more detail about Poetry! 
Here on poetry, we are trying to focus on the different types of poetry & prose. Our lists will cover a range of different styles of poetry as well as some popular themes used across the different styles of poetry. 

Below is a collection of reading lists with descriptions to help you determine which you'd like your story to be featured in. Our reading lists cover a range of different genres & types of poetry & prose.

-Lyrical Poetry:
This is genre of poetry that is usually a short poem with songlike qualities to it, usually expressing personal emotions & feelings and typically written in first person. This can use meters that give rhythmic forms. Common lyrical meters examples are Lambic, Trochaic, Pyrrhic, Anapestic, Dactylic & Spondaic. Examples of this are Ode, Elegy & Sonnets
William Shakespeare wrote alot of sonnets. 

-Narrative Poetry
This is genre of poetry that tells a story, often using both a narrator & character voices. The story is written in metered verse and does not need to rhyme. Ballads, some idylls and many poems that don't fall under other distinct types fall here. 
We have an individual reading list for Epic Poetry. 

-Dramatic Poetry
This genre of poetry is poems that are meant to be read or performed aloud and is typically used in plays. Types of poetry under this genre include monologues, soliloquy, character sketch and dialogue. 

-Special Type Poetry
This genre of poetry covers special types of poetry, like haiku or limerick.

-Epic Poetry
This genre of poetry is a long poem that talks about extraordinary deeds of extraordinary characters who, in dealing with gods or other superhuman forces, give shape to the mortal universe of their descendants. 

-Pastoral Poetry
This genre of poetry is poems that explore the connections between humans & nature being away from modern life & living in a rural setting. There is no set type of poetry to write this genre. 

-Free Verse
This genre is an open form of poetry. There are no set rules, rhymes or meter patterns used to write this style. 

-Prose
Prose is a form of writing that has natural flow, rhythm & regular use of grammar and punctuation. Can be short stories, essays or novels. 

-Acrostic & Villanelle
This covers two main types of poetry. 
Acrostic poems are written with a letter of each line being used to spell out a word when read vertically. This can be the first letter or anywhere in the line as long as it lines up. 
Villanelle poems are typically 19 line poems broken up into 5 tercet and 1 quatrain, with two repeating end rhymes and two refrains. 

-Stygian Themes (Darker Themes)
This reading list will cover poetry that is written about darker themes. 

-Romantic Woes
This reading list covers different types of poetry that have romantic themes behind them.

-Religious
This reading list covers different types of poetry that have religious themes behind them.