Chapter Two

Lilith was, as was her habit, punctually ready at precisely eight pm. Christopher, on the other hand was late, something in which he was as consistent as she was in her punctuality. So she was left standing on the landing pad, Peter holding an umbrella over her to protect her the efforts of her android maid Mary, to whom she could attribute the impeccable preparation of her wardrobe and hair.

She waited as patiently as was possible, but Christopher had not appeared by ten after eight and the rain and the chill were starting to seep into Lilith's bones. It was not the chill she minded but the lateness, as it would hardly be acceptable to be late to the part of such a close friend as Arthur Meighen.

"Peter, please ask Paul to locate Mr. Farrar," she said.

"Right away, madam," said Peter. Bowing his head, a light flashed inside his translucent skull, indicating that he was transmitting a signal, communicating with each other wordlessly with another android some distance away.

"Mr. Farrar is on his way, madam," said Peter after a moment.

Lilith sighed. "I think it is actually physically impossible for my husband to be on time, Peter," she said to the android.

"All data would suggest that you are correct, madam," said Peter.

Lilith smiled with genuine amusement, at which moment Christopher joined her. He looked well in a tuxedo, the tailoring of which accented his natural beauty to such an extent that it made everyone, men and women alike, young and old, so helpless to his charm.

"Christopher, you're late," she told him, careful to keep most of the peevishness out of her tone. 

"I am forever on time, my darling," he purred, leaning forward. He did not dare to touch Lilith, not in private, not when anyone else would not have the benefit of their act as a devoted pair, but what he did dare was to wink at her.

"Christopher," she warned. Her tone was flat. It was indeed only a warning, and something of an empty one. She had little to threaten him with if he overstepped his bounds.

"I'm sorry, Lilith. I couldn't resist," he said. His eyes flashed with his flirtatious verve, one of his more winsome expressions.

"We're going to be late if we wait any longer," she said. She nodded to Peter, who waved. A hovercraft floated towards them and stopped a few paces away, its door opening to reveal the android who parked it expertly and then sprang out.

"Thank you, Simon," said Lilith, as their android chauffeur extented his hand to her. He ignored Christopher in favour of his Mrs. Farrar, bowing as he helped her into the hovercraft. In a moment, he had opened a door for Christopher and then, impossibly lithe, climbed into the driver's seat.

"Peter?" said Lilith.

"Yes, madam?" he said. At this point, she'd come to rest in the roomy back seat of the hovercraft and was leaning out the window. Christopher, on her left, had already sunk down into the rich leather seats. And Lilith, watching him as she turned, saw that though his posture was relaxed and langorous - one might even say bored - his eyes glowed. His bearing was affected, though not the hot passion in his eyes.

Those bright, sparkling orbs flashed and glittered with mischief. Lilith knew that look enough to know what it meant. When he saw that she was watching him, he smiled and turned his eyes to gaze out the window.

By contrast, Peter's face seemed so starkly mechanical in comparison to the bright, vivacious face of Christopher. Peter's smooth, nearly featureless - save for his dark eyepieces and the glowing strip that served as a mouth - face was in such shocking contrast to Christopher's lively one that it made her pause for a moment.