Chapter Four

Author's note: Hey, everyone! Please vote and comment if you like the story. Also, let me know what you think of the characters in the comments. Any theories or questions? Let me know!

"Mrs. Farrar?" Lilith heard someone ask as Mary was helping her undress in her bedroom some time later.

She turned her head to see Thomas, Christopher's personal butler, standing at the threshold with his robotic eyes averted as if to protect her modesty.

"Yes, Thomas?" she replied, obediently stepping out of the elaborate black-and-white dress as Mary unlaced, unzipped, untied, and generally divested her of it.

"Mr. Farrar would like to-" began Thomas, but there was suddenly an irritated snort from beyond Lilith's bedroom.

"Mr. Farrar can speak for himself and not have some bloody android do it," Lilith heard a voice too lovely to be anyone but Christopher's snap from the doorway. Promptly, in he marched, shoving aside his android and bounding into her room.

Immediately, Mary stepped in front of Lilith, snatching up Lilith's dressing gown and holding it before her mistress.

"Christopher," said Lilith, and she glared at him over Mary's shoulder. "What the hell are you doing?"

It was a valid question. Christopher had never once visited Lilith's quarters. He kept away from them, usually respecting her right to a private space where she could be free of him. On top of that, she knew Christopher had no interest in what her quarters contained, for there he could not find a lover or a healthy supply of scotch.

He smiled, his face too innocent, his eyes flashing with too much laughter. "What, I can't wander around my own house?" he asked.

Lilith sniffed haughtily, her nose in the air. "I suppose Thomas tried to stop you?" she told him.

"He did. I'm tempted to have him decommissioned for that insolence," said Christopher. And with his hands in his pockets, he meandered into the room. He cast his eye about, the very picture of innocent interest, but Lilith knew that his interest was anything but.

"He was following my instructions, dear husband," replied Lilith. Snapping her fingers, she gestured to Thomas, who took Mary's place before Lilith, shielding her body from Christopher's gaze. Mary, meanwhile, placed the dressing gown over Lilith's frame.

"Thank you, Thomas, Mary," she said to the two androids, both of whom inclined their heads - Thomas with a bit of a creak, perhaps Lilith ought to have the mechanic in to have a look at the the source of that sound - and backed away.

"You're a prude, Lilith," said Christopher, and he smiled as she crossed her arms.

"Because I don't want you to see me naked?" she guessed, arching her eyebrow.

"Because you don't want me to see you naked," he echoed, grinning from ear to ear.

"Modesty is not prudishness, Christopher," said Lilith. Turning on her heel, she made her way over to  the vanity next to the window and sat down. Looking up, she could see Christopher staring at her back in the reflection.

"Perhaps not. But modesty is pointless," said Christopher, shrugging. "And, at any rate, you're a prude, darling."

Lilith snorted as she, motioning for Mary to bring forward her jewelery box, set about removing the diamonds glittering at her throat.

"Says a libertine," she retorted, dropping the necklace unceremoniously in the box. "Forgive me if I don't respect a profligate's definition of prudishness." Then, turning on the seat, she looked up at Christopher. By this time, he'd made his way over to her and was staring down, those clever blue eyes alight and shrewd.