Prologue

-In loving Memory of my Grandfather, who always believed in me.

*Only the prologue is written in third person, the rest of the book is in first, please don't run away lol.*

Seven years prior

"Young Dauphin, I beg your pardon, but might I still have a moment of your time?" Her voice cracked making her French accent hard to decipher.

After every pause she'd wheeze with each strained breath, all visible in the frigid air before her. She was old and quite frail, the lines on her face had been made apparent about forty or so years ago, and no color, other than white, was left in her thin hair.

"I regret to inform you, Madame, but you've come much too late, and the hours for receiving guests have long ended." The young Prince knew better than to have even opened the door himself, yet she had been knocking for ages and none of the servants had answered the door.

The old woman stood there looking at him with sorrow filled eyes, wet with tears of exhaustion and disappointment. This ate at Prince Leroux's heart, and he started to feel guilty for turning the old woman away after she had come so far.

"However, seeing as you have made quite the journey up the mountain to come wish me a joyful birthday. And in such harsh conditions while at the age you are, I feel as if I must allow you a swift audience in thanks of your efforts." Prince Leroux smiled, then added, "Just this once though."

The young Prince was newly fourteen at the time, a smart and strapping young man with much room to grow. His Father, the Emperor of Great Europe, which consisted of the newly conquered England, Scotland, Ireland, France and surrounding countries, had bestowed upon him the title of Grand Prince of France and the Prince of Great Europe until his twenty first had come to pass, then he would have ascended to the French throne, becoming the King of France.

His father placed him in a castle of his own, which was supported by a small developing town by the name of Du Ciel. In turn was his to rule over the town as he would France in the future, all while creating a new capitol after the previous one had been destroyed in the great war that assimilated all of Europe. This was all in hopes of teaching him the fundamentals of being a Monarch, or at least that was what the emperor had told the public.

"It is quite late for you to be out, Madame, this weather must be wearing on your health. Please, step inside." He stepped aside to make room for her then motioned for her to enter. Unlike his father, the prince was kind and sometimes a little too understanding, qualities that many viewed as nothing more than weakness.

"Oh, no my Dauphin. This snow has no effect on me after all these years of living in it. Even so, I could not let that stop me from coming here, and miss the chance to give you this offering, this gift." The old woman took a breath, then smiled. "However, upon accepting this boon you must do as I ask of you without hesitation."

"Boon?" Prince Leroux cocked his head to the side in a questioning sort of way, "You couldn't mean. . ." A mountain of emotions all mixed together started to rise within him once he realized what she had meant. "Witchcraft is forbidden in the Empire." He was stern, trying not to show his uncertainty in how he should handle the situation. Not only was he ill-informed in regard to the topic of witchcraft, but he also was skeptical of its existence outside of tall tales even despite his father's obsession with it and endless paranoia.

She watched him for a moment, in turn making him more uncomfortable than he already had been. The hollowness in her eyes pierced through him, chilling him to the bone worse than the frigid mountain wind ever could.

"I can make you strong, fast, and everlasting little Dauphin." She coaxed. He watched as she reached into her coat only to reveal a single black rose clutched in her shriveled old hand. "On one condition."