Chapter-18

Ariana

I had been sitting in my office, thinking about how one and a half weeks went by after that embarrassing moment in his office.

Till now, my thoughts had been revolving around that office incident. I felt so embarrassed. I couldn't meet his eyes every time I met him after that. And strangely, he didn't snap at me for the whole week.

He said I did that to gain attention. He also compared me with Scarlet. He thought I was like her who gains attention by doing anything she could do.

I didn't feel this much hurt when Bianca, Diana, and Katherine accused me and insulted me. But I didn't know why his words affected me so much. His words felt like needles, needles that were still pricking in my heart at a slow pace giving me heartache.

I think he didn't ever learn that never judge anyone without knowing them.

I was pulled out of my thoughts with a beep of my phone. I picked up my phone to see a message notification...

"Your account has been credited..."

I immediately opened the message. My eyes went wide as I stared at the amount that was credited to my account.

My first salary since I started working as a P.A and it was the amount that was equal to the 6 months salary I used to earn from my last job.

Why was I even shocked? I guess this is what you get as you work for the CEO of the USA's topmost company.

The corner of my lips tugged up and within seconds I was smiling like a fool. My savings were nearly ending, now I didn't have to worry. But my smile faded when I realized something.

Watching the message of my salary made me realize that...

One month had already passed.

It had been a month since I got married to Xavier Knight. It's been a month since I entered my new phase of life. A month since I got free from Smith's.

And...

A month since he became my husband but I never became his wife.

It's not that I wanted to be called his wife but at least he should not judge me without knowing me. And I didn't know what the coming days will bring to me. Will he ignore me for eternity? Will he ever change his opinion about me? Will I be tied to this loveless bound for life?

Sighing, I placed my phone aside. The situation wasn't in my hands. The best I could do was concentrate on work so that I would not think of all that happened in a month and I'd not think of what will happen in the coming months.

::::::::::::::

During the lunch break, Mrs. Miller, Kevin, Lauren, Scott, and I decided to go to a small diner near the building since our bosses were out for a meeting so, Lauren suggested that we should go out because our bosses won't demand us and we didn't have to rush to them between our lunch break.

So, here we were, sitting at a rectangular table in a cozy diner ready to order our food. I was sitting between Lauren and Mrs. Miller, Scott and Kevin were sitting across us.

"Listen, everybody," I said excitedly. They all turned their attention to me.

"Today's lunch is on me," I beamed.

"What's the occasion?" Kevin asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Actually..." Before I could say anything Scott asked excitedly.

"Why? Is it your birthday today?"

"No!"

"Why? Someone proposed to you today?" Lauren asked excitedly, wiggling her eyebrows.