7. Death Keeps Knocking On My Door

"I'm no stranger to death, but that doesn't mean I want to talk about it

"I'm no stranger to death, but that doesn't mean I want to talk about it. Once a year for Remembrance Day, we're asked to write letters to our lost loved ones. We sign our names, fold them up, and scatter them throughout the cemetery. I usually don't see the point in it. Why write to the dead? I'd rather not think about it at all. Except lately... Death keeps knocking on my door."

Hope and I are sitting in the Memorial Library as I draw the Necromancer. Raf puts his letter in the bowl before walking over to Hope and I so I quickly pack my stuff and we walk out of the Library. Raf grabs my hand in his as we're walking out. I see a girl with curly hair walking into the building and Raf immediately pulls his hand out of mine. "Cassie?" Raf asked and Hope grabs onto me when she sees my eyes flash. "Raf." Cassie said "Cassie? Isn't that your..." Hope asked trailing off. "My ex-girlfriend." Raf said walking to her hugging her. "I'm going to see Dr. S and maybe take a swing at the Necromancer so I don't kill her and make her dead again." I say quietly to Hope and she nods.

I walk down to the basement and hear Dr. S screaming as I get to the Necromancers cell. I see the Necromancer with a butchers knife in his head. "Was that really necessary?" Necromancer asked "He told you that he needs answers and quite frankly, I would like them too. Dr. S can I take anger out on him?" I ask "Why, what happened?" Dr. S asked "Pretty sure he brought Rafs ex-girlfriend Cassie back from the dead." I say "Yeah go ahead." Dr. S said stepping out of the cell and allowing me to step into it. "Now what are you going to do to me?" Necromancer asked "Things that you couldn't even begin to comprehend." I say as my eyes go pitch black and dark magic begins to swirl in my hands.

I push my hands forward and yell out as the dark magic shoved the Necromancer back into the wall. "Why would I help any of you? You have me in chains and allow her to blast me with dark magic. This indignity will not go unpunished." Necromancer said and I use magic to pull him back to the center of the room. I lean forward towards him with my eyes pitch black. "We have been at this for days. Answer our questions, or I'm gonna peel your skin off like a grape and shower you in battery acid. Or I could do much worse." I say "A rather grotesque effort, considering it will feel like the delicate tickle of a feather." Necromancer said handing me the butchers knife back. Dr. S comes into the cell. I growl and turn to the table of Dr. S' weapons grabbing the blow torch. "All right. Let's see how this feels." I say holding up the blow torch. "Dr. Saltzman, Lia." Hope said walking down the stairs and I turn the blowtorch off.

"Oh, there you are, lovely girl. I was wondering if you'd come visit me again. How's your friend, the one I saw you with earlier, trying to steal an illicit peek at me?" Necromancer asked and I growl with my eyes flashing going towards him but Dr. S grabs me shoving me outside the cell with Hope. "As we speak, he's having an emotional reunion with his dead ex-girlfriend. I assume we have you to thank?" I ask "Poor dear. Her spirit was clinging to him like a vine in winter. It took barely any effort. Just a little wrinkle of the nose, and poof. Young love reborn." I growl loudly at him. "You're lucky that's all I did. The way you've treated a man of my stature, you should be ashamed." Necromancer said "Literally nobody knows who the fuck you are." I say and he scoffs. "That's impossible." Necromancer said "I'll check on Raf. Khalia come on." Dr. S said and we walk to the door. Hope stays there with the Necromancer. "Hope!" I yell and she follows us.