Yellow.

edited :)

On one day during the introductory period of their friendship, amongst delicate silences and awkward glances, she asked what his favourite colour was.

Sean had instinctually begun to answer, but hesitated, mouth falling shut.

He didn't really have one.

Being a question often raised during average small talk, it surprised him to realise that he didn't know.

Kaycee thought the hesitancy a reluctance to answer, but she'd waited patiently anyway, hoping he'd become more comfortable the more they spoke.

The topic had eventually fallen to the side after Sean said he didn't have one. Kaycee teasing that he could keep his secrets, trying not to feel disappointed.

But it lingered on his mind for the rest of the day, Sean questioning why he'd never really thought about it.

He knew he liked the colour blue. The colour was blue skies and the ocean, moody and powerful, but he wouldn't say it was his favourite.

So what was?

He hadn't come to a definitive answer before his attention shifted, life taking the front seat as he travelled the world teaching and creating.

But every now and then, during reflective moments, the thought would reoccur and he'd begin the loop of thought all over.

He liked black. Streamlined comfort and mystery, the colour made up the majority of his wardrobe. People often considered black the colour of evil and death, but he thought different. Black was the solid, reliable. Without it, it often felt like the world was a nightmare blur of colour.

But it wasn't his favourite.

Green was nice too. Serenity and nature. Red, passion and fire. Brown, earth and balance.

But none left a lasting impression the way he assumed a favourite colour should.

"Hey, Kayc?"

His murmur had gone unacknowledged for several moments and he'd begun to think she had fallen asleep before she turned in their bed to face him.

She shifted until she was settled comfortably, a breath releasing on an exhale that carried her answer.

"Yeah?"

"What do you think my favourite colour is?"

Asking someone else what his favourite colour was would have sounded dumb if it hadn't been Kaycee, his girlfriend knowing him better than he knew himself at times.

His breathing slowed in increments until it aligned with hers, his eyes perusing her relaxed features, taking in the face-framing curls bordering angelic features.

"Um, black?" she'd muttered tiredly, words trailing off as she paused to yawn.

Black. No, that wasn't it, he thought. The colour was everpresent in his life but it wasn't the one.

"Wait no," the words burst from her lips, eyes shooting open as though spurred on by a revelation, "it's yellow."

Yellow?

"Yes! It has to be, I feel it" she'd said excitedly, placing an elbow on the bed to lift herself, exhaustion forgotten momentarily with her enthusiasm. She smiled so widely that the sight of it alone would have been enough to convince a tree their favourite colour too, was yellow.

"You're right," he had agreed steadily, smiling indulgently.

He would later acknowledge when she had fallen asleep, that yellow would never have been his first choice, the colour being neither liked very much or hated.

But the idea that she had chosen it for him felt special and he didn't think he'd ever look at it the same.

It was in everything. It was sunshine and warmth. It was Sunday afternoons and Disney days. It was two-person parties and movie marathons on a night in. It was a trillion inside jokes. It was him. It was her. It was them.

A/N:

Ayo
Sorry this is basic. My brain said no 🙅🏽‍♀️ not ❌on 🔫 your ✋🏽 life 🙃 dumb 😞 bitch 🤪.

Hanna xx