Soaked Tyrants - Part Three

Simon watched the girl with anger. Then, he shouted, "You! Why are you here?" Simon noticed the window was open.

"Oh no! It's you!" she exclaimed. "You have to stay silent or else they will hear us!" She closed the window and pulled the curtains.

"Be silent? Are you running from the police?"

"That is not important! If they find me they will also kill you!"

"Kill me? I am a police officer! If I report you they will spare me!" Simon ran to his telephone.

"Don't report me! Please!"

"I don't trust an enemy of the state!" Simon's hands began to call the emergency number. The girl had a look of absolute shock. Simon was one number away from calling the emergency line. His finger grazed the last number. He then thought about Alexa. Why would they take her? What is the reason? Why would they not let her stay? Simon's mind began to fall even further into a trough. Then he remembered the thoughts from the monorail. He remembered the ideas. He remembered the new heart. "My... the state... they took her."

"Who?" asked the girl.

"My niece, Alexa, they took her away."

"That must be hard to cope with. I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it wasn't your fault. It was that damned Mosley."

Simon fixed some coffee and gave it to her. She was wearing that puffy coat again. She also wore brown, leather boots. Simon then asked, "What might your name be?"

"Nancy, Nancy Gillard."

"I'm Simon Frank."

"That doesn't sound English, where are you from?"

"The New American Order, Indiana."

"Oh..."

"Also," explained Simon. "Sorry for shouting at you."

"No problem. I knew what it was like to be loyal to the state."

"Hey! I'm still loyal to the state, just not happy with them."

Nancy nodded, still doubting him in her mind. Then Simon said, "You can stay here for a couple of weeks until they stop searching, then you have to leave. You can sleep in Alexa's room."

"Alright," she said.

Simon walked to his bedroom. He locked the door and fell onto his bed. Then he dressed in his sleeping clothes and laid on his bed. Then Simon began to think, "Where did they take the convicts? Where were they going? And why do we never follow them into the ground transports?" Simon fell asleep.

The next day when Simon awoke Nancy was still asleep. He exited his room and stood in the kitchen. He then began to make breakfast, this time for two. He fixed some scrambled eggs and beans, for that was all he had. Simon did not want to wake Nancy so he left a note on the table and the breakfast. Simon fitted himself into his uniform and proceeded to work. He descended through the elevator shaft and exited by the street. The streets were crowded and many pedestrians roamed the cement sidewalks. Simon's heart began to pound as he saw two officers showing a picture of Nancy asking where she was. Simon walked faster fearing the two question him. Then Simon's heart froze in place when he heard the officer exclaim, "Hey! You in the uniform! Come back!"

Simon pretended he did not hear them. Then he heard the notorious noise of an officer's rubber boots behind him. He felt a hand squeeze his shoulder. Simon turned around and exclaimed, "Excuse me?"