FOUR: The Prince

Nerin groaned, anger flowing through him. "Brother, please, this may be my only chance!" he cried.

His brother, Harudan, only rolled his eyes. "Nerin, this won't be your only chance, you know that. Stop being dramatic," he said, tapping his foot against the wooden floor. "They're here to sign the treaty. After that, you will be able to see them as much as you like."

Nerin crossed his arms over his chest. "How do you know?" He sounded like a petulant child and he knew it, but it wasn't going to stop him from arguing. He wanted to meet the Princess. She would be arriving soon. He'd never seen an Askari before, nor had he ever met a Princess. He wanted to do both, but Harudan, as per usual, wasn't going to let him.

"Because I'm the King, Nerin, I'm going to make sure they keep coming back," his brother said, running a hand through his long black hair. "I want to have a good relationship with them."

"And why can't I have a good relationship with them?" Nerin asked, raising his eyebrows at his older brother.

"Because you're twelve."

"I'm thirteen, my birthday was last week!"

"You act like you're twelve."

Nerin huffed. "You're just saying that because you forgot how old I was."

Harudan sighed in frustration. He crouched down so that they were at eye level, but Nerin stepped away. They stood in Harudan's office, which was lined with portraits of Kings and Queens long past. At the back of the small room, behind Harudan's desk and between two arched windows, was a portrait of their father, who'd died of illness the year before.

Nerin missed him, but even he knew at his young age that things were better with him gone. Harudan was a better King. He actually wanted to make peace with Minisia and the Askari, instead of starting a war with them as their father had done.

He fidgeted with the quills on the desk, clacking them against the wood. The sound woke Harudan's pet drake, Ignis, who eyed Nerin in annoyance before dropping his head back onto the cushion he slept on. With a small smile, Nerin gave him a scratch behind the ears as an apology.

Behind him, Harudan sighed again. "Nerin, listen to me," he said and placed his hand on his shoulder, his fingers brushing against his chestnut brown hair. "This initial meeting is very important. We have to make a good first impression-"

"And you don't think I can do that? I know how to act like a Prince, Harudan. Father had me trained too," Nerin snapped. He whirled around to glare at his brother.

"I'm not saying that. I know you can make a good first impression. But you're excitable. The Princess has had a long journey, I don't want to overwhelm her," Harudan explained as he moved to lean against the table. "We're going to have a very important first meeting about the treaty, something you would get bored with, I'm sure, then we're going to have a big dinner together. You can talk to her then, I promise."

It wasn't what he was after. Surely, both members of the royal family should be there to greet a newcomer, especially someone as important as a Princess. But he could see in the set of Harudan's eyes and the straight line of his mouth that arguing any further would be pointless. Dinner would have to do.

"Alright," he said with a sharp nod. "I can do that."

Harudan smiled at him, the corner of his eyes crinkling. "Thank you. I'm glad you understand." He didn't, but he wasn't going to say that. He continued to pet Ignis, the little drake letting out chirping noises of pleasure.

Harudan shuffled through the papers on his desk. It wouldn't be long before he sent Nerin away to do whatever it was he had to do before the Princess arrived. Ever since he had been coronated, they'd spent less time together. Nerin knew why, he wasn't stupid, far from it, but that didn't stop him from missing the time he spent with his brother.