TEN: Running

The throne room had been beautiful the first time Rina had stepped into it, almost a week ago. But after a few days, it looked the same as every other room in the castle. When she had first seen it, she never expected to be running past the beautiful portraits and tapestries in fear for her life.

Her advisor and guards were dead on the floor behind her. Sir Jonin walked the length of the throne room towards her, an amused smirk on his face. The other guards had taken their place back against the wall. She was Jonin's and no one else's.

Harudan leaned against the table, the remains of the treaty at his feet and a bored expression on his face. She'd been stupid to put even the smallest amount of trust in him. Prince Nerin and Isiah had been right and she should have listened. Because she hadn't, and because of that, she was going to die.

There were tears in her eyes, obscuring her vision, but she never stopped running. The ornate wooden throne was cold under her hands as she ducked behind it. She let out a sob. Peace, that was all she had wanted. But now she would die. Running and hiding were just delaying the inevitable. She had no sword to fight back with. There was no hope for her.

Sir Jonin's footsteps echoed through the room, slow and careful. He didn't care how long it took, they both knew that it would end with her death. She looked around desperately, but the only exit was through the doors she had entered through. There was no way she could get past Harudan and his guards.

An irritated sigh filled the room. "Please don't make this any harder than it has to be," King Harudan called. "He'll make it as quick as possible." But not painless. It was going to hurt and she was going to avoid for a long as she could.

Sir Jonin's footsteps grew louder and louder as he came up one side of the throne. She dodged to the side and jumped the tiny steps. The guards had lined up in front of the door. There was no escape for her. She should just stop and let him take her. What else could she possibly do?

Something banged off to the side and Sir Jonin froze in front of the throne, slowly turning to face the source of the noise. "Princess!" a familiar voice yelled. "Princess! Run!" Isiah gestured to her frantically, his face pale and his eyes wide with fear.

He stood in an entranceway she hadn't seen before. She didn't take a second to think about it before she ran towards him. Behind her, Harudan made a noise and more sets of footsteps followed after her. Isiah grabbed her as soon as she was within reach and pulled her into the black void beyond.

"The painting, Nerin!" he cried. "Close the painting!" The Prince's huddled form moved next to her and with a loud creak of wood, they were bathed in darkness. A secret passage behind the paintings. The Prince and Isiah had been watching and listening.

Without a word, Isiah pulled her away with a sharp tug on her arm. She was alive. Somehow, she was still alive. "Where do we go?" she asked. Her voice was quiet, raspy, and filled with fear.

Angry voices drifted through the walls. The guards and Harudan trying to open the passage after them. If they didn't move fast, they would be caught and killed. Isiah said nothing as they turned down a corner. Nerin's followed closely after them, silent as a mouse.

With a grunt, Prince Nerin shoved past them and she bumped into the wall. Her arm stung but she ignored it. It could have been so much worse if they hadn't come for her. "We have to leave," Prince Nerin said in a shaky voice. "There are ways out of the palace through the passages. I know the way. Follow me."

"Thank you," Rina whispered. There were still tears in her eyes and on her cheeks. She should have listened to them, they'd been right. Somehow, they'd known Harudan was up to something.