The Tears Of Uther Pendragon P5

Sir Leon had called a council meeting, his patrol having been sighted galloping through the gates with speed; some would say they saw great terror in their eyes. Arthur himself could see that his bravest knight was shaken, his face a shade paler than usual. He'd reported an army, one practically the size of the kingdom, marching straight towards Camelot, tireless in their approach.

"I estimate they will reach the city within two days." Leon informed the long line of the Prince's advisors, all of whom stared silently into the distance, adamant not to meet his eye.

"Under whose banner do they march?" Arthur asked, pacing towards his father's throne.

Sir Leon looked uncomfortable for a moment. "Cenred, sire. We knew he was amassing an army."

"How many men?"

"20,000, maybe more." the knight shook his head helplessly, the numbers overwhelming. This was more than defeating a hundred odd bandits in Ealdor, this was war.

"I fear that news of the King's illness has spread beyond our borders. Cenred sees an opportunity." Gaius spoke out, his explanation causing Arthur to shiver. He could not fail his father, not now.

"Then we must find a way to appease him." Leon stated boldly, but Arthur knew that he couldn't let this pass. He couldn't afford to look weak.

"That's not what my father would do. He wouldn't bow to our enemies." the Prince refused to look at his council, trying to use everything Uther had taught him of how to fight for his kingdom.

But, of course, Gaius had to raise his concerns. "Forgive me, sire, but we are outnumbered two to one."

Arthur turned back to the physician, taking slow strides towards the central table, examining where Leon had claimed the rival King to be. "What concessions will Cenred insist on? What territories will he demand?"

"We do not have to give him anything, but it could buy us valuable time." Gaius answered, but the Prince could already see the faint frowns from the remaining councilmen.

"It shows weakness, Gaius." he exclaimed, taking a deep breath to calm his uncertainty. "There's only one course of action open to us." Sitting in his father's throne, he cast a sorrowful glance at Merlyn, who seemed to understand what he intended. She nodded once, and he could tell he'd never be able to talk her out of being by his side, but Arthur was still glad he had her support.

"We must prepare this city for siege."

Sir Leon didn't appear so convinced. "Are you sure that is wise?"

"The castle is our strongest weapon. No army has ever taken Camelot."

"But what about the people in the outlying villages?" Leon questioned, gazing at the map where he could see three or four settlements between the approaching army and Camelot's battlements.

"We'll give them refuge within the city walls." Arthur declared, wishing that his people would stop questioning him. He felt he was right, knew it in his heart.

"And what of their houses? Their livelihoods? Cenred will destroy everything in his path." Leon once again protested, his nobility getting in the way of practicality.

"But they will have their lives. Go, ready the army." Arthur ordered, unsure whether his knight agreed with his decision, praying that he was right, that it was the right thing to do.

~

Merlyn followed her Prince out of the council chambers, knowing that, after Gaius and Sir Leon's arguments, he'd need someone on his side. "You did well in there, I mean it. I was impressed. I mean, talking siege engines and battering rams and catapults... You made a tough decision. You're risking -"