Love in the Time of Dragons P1

Merlyn wasn't entirely sure why she needed to follow Gaius into his audience with the king, but she did so without question, mildly curious as to what Uther had to say. As far as she knew, there had been no disturbances recently. In fact, it had been oddly quiet. The witch had never liked the silence: it always fell just before something dangerous arose. She hated that she could no longer relax in times of peace, always waiting for the next battle, the next unseen enemy. She could only hope that Morgana hadn't got anything particularly evil planned: she could do with a lie in.

"Gaius, there have been disturbing rumours from the outlying villages." the king declared, passing his parchment to Arthur, who sat on his right side, appearing genuinely concerned. The prince straightened in his throne a little, alert to any sign of jeopardy.

The physician scrunched up his face in confusion, clearly caught off guard. "Sire?"

"Someone, some kind of physician is offering treatments." Uther stated, as if curing people was now a bad thing. "I fear magic may have been used."

Even Arthur, who usually appeared dutifully worried, seemed a little baffled. It was an odd thing, to complain that one's subjects weren't dying.

"What is it that makes you suspicious?" Gaius did his best to act troubled, although Merlyn thought his affronted manner may stem more from the fact that he hadn't been offered a seat than from genuine distress.

"There are reports of miracle cures. A boy thrown from a horse, a farmhand mauled by a boar... All hopeless cases it seems, and yet, each one has made a full recovery."

Merlyn exchanged a look with Arthur, who just shook his head, his exasperation replaced with stony belief in his father's gospel.

"It's very hard for me to comment, sire. I'd have to examine the patients myself." Gaius said smoothly, understandably reluctant to dismiss the king's worries.

Uther shook his head. "That won't be necessary. There's a new case that's arisen here in Camelot."

"Who?"

Arthur, who had previously been daydreaming, managed to focus on that question. "The... Innkeeper. He's returned to work."

Gaius' frown deepened, the reality or the situation setting in. "That's not possible. His condition was critical, I saw him only days ago."

"So you agree that magic must be involved?" Uther inquired, taking a long sip of his wine. Merlyn thought that it was definitely too early for alcohol, but then she didn't have a kingdom to run so she couldn't really judge the man.

"I couldn't say for sure." the physician spoke a little too quickly, his lack of commitment only seeming to anger the king.

"Then go to the tavern and find out." Uther glared. "If sorcery is at work here, we must act quickly."

Gaius nodded obediently. "Yes sire, I'll see to it right away."

~

Arthur had given Merlyn part of the day off to investigate with Gaius, likely because he had some new knights arriving and didn't really want to be shown up by his servant. At least, that's what she'd tease him about later. Still, as she made her way through the lower town, she couldn't keep her mind off the King's hypocrisy.

"That's unbelievable. Uther has no problem turning to magic when his own family are threatened." she murmured quietly, ignoring Gaius' patented glares.

"Keep your voice down, Merlyn." he hissed, glancing about them as if expecting for one of the guards to arrest them on the spot.

Merlyn debated taking heed of Gaius' uneasiness, but doubted anyone was paying them much attention. "He's such a hypocrite."