Chapter Four

I'm having a panic attack

I'm having a panic attack. I can't breathe and it feels like everything is closing in on me. I watch as the man aimlessly walks back and forth as if he was thinking hard. I try to take deep breaths as I sit on the floor with my knees to my chest.

"Please, just let me go. I won't tell anyone about this," I beg again. He frustratedly sighs and closes his eyes, face full of annoyance.

"You are not leaving," He speaks in a tone that makes me not want to contradict him. "You know I am here. You are going to be helping me."

"How exactly am I helping you?" I ask, desperate for real answers.

"Escape the voices keeping me here," He responds, bluntly. He looks angry and shut off from every other emotion.

"The tunnel? You want my help to get you out of here?" I was getting more and more confused by the minute. My heart was still beating rapidly as if it were trying to escape.

"Haven't told you," He murmurs, chuckling to himself. Walking over to me, he grabs my jaw and moves my head to the right. "Deep inside of here, there are things." He eventually lets go of my face but he is still very close. I can feel his dark and intimidating presence crowding my space.

"You expect me to believe you?" I whisper, raising my eyebrows at him. "You're insane."

He suddenly reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me to my feet. I gasp at the sudden movement and before I could speak further he was already pulling me far away from the tunnel's entrance.

"Let me go," I demand. He doesn't listen. I try to pull away but his grip is too strong, way too strong. "Would you please-"

"Shut it!" He stops and I run into his hard back. We're standing there in silence and I'm afraid to move an inch out of fear of making a noise. There is a flicker of the light before it went out and we were surrounded by complete darkness. "It is here," He says.

I'm starting to freak out again. I feel like I can't breathe. I hope and pray that this is all one terrifying dream and I'll wake up in my bed soon.

I hear a strange growl close to my right and I scream out of fear. A hand covers my mouth to muffle my scream.

"Don't scream, the voices don't like that." He whispers in my ear. I close my eyes, tears running down my cheek. Please.. please be a dream.

A hand rests on my shoulder and my fight or flight response kicks in. I open my eyes and it doesn't matter which way I'm running, I just start running as fast as I can. My hand trails along the brick wall as I make a run for it. I trip over something in the dark and I fall to the ground, scraping my knees painfully.

All I can hear is my heavy breathing and I'm in complete panic mode. I can't see where I am and I'm in pain.

"Help!" I call out, knowing that nobody will hear me. I jump at the sound of a chuckle coming from behind me. "Stop this, please," I cry. The adrenaline dissipates as I scream out, "Leave me alone!"

A hand falls on my shoulder and I can feel his breath against my ear. There's a loud bang behind us and I cower. He hums in my ear as a flicker of light appears in his hand.

"Help me," He demands. I can feel his eyes on me as he keeps me as close to him as possible. I can't move my limbs, but I slowly turn my head to catch a glimpse of him. His eyes are dark and creepy, staring into my soul, somehow desperate for answers.

"I have something inside me," He whispers, not once pulling his gaze away from me. It feels like he has me in some sort of trance and I shiver at the sudden gust of wind that passes by.

I blink a few times with my mouth open, staying completely silent out of fear. He doesn't look away, instead he moves even closer and there is no looking away from his dark eyes.

"It makes me want to do bad things," He says. I don't miss the quick second his gaze leaves mine to look at my lips. "It wants to destroy people. I need your help."

"How am I supposed to help you? You need real help. Doctor's will know what to do." I am so terrified that I start pinching myself to wake up from this nightmare. I clench my eyes shut but it doesn't work.

He laughs, the corner of his eyes crinkling and his smile wide, creepy-like.

"Where do you think I came from?" His smile dissipates as he says it. "I told them something was living inside me," He sings. "They thought I was insane."

"Why did you leave?" I ask. It was quite obvious he had some sort of mental illness. "They could have helped make it go away."

He shook his head and turned his gaze to the lighter in his hand. He watched the flame intently as it looked like he was lost in his thoughts. There was a long pause and as I thought more, I couldn't believe I was really debating on helping him. If I helped him, I would never see him again and I could help him get proper treatment. I fight back a disbelieving chuckle because of this bizarre situation I am stuck in.

"If... if I help you, do you promise to let me go?" I cautiously ask. He looks away from the flames and stares back at me. He slowly nods, almost skeptical like I could run away at any second. I let out a big sigh in anticipation. I can't believe this is happening.

"How can I help?"

___________________________
Author's Note:
The beginning chapters aren't my favorite at the moment :( lol.

This week has been incredibly hectic with piles of assignments & deadlines I need to finish, ugh.