Chapter Three

Marion grinned in response. "Dance," she promptly answered and let him lead her onto the floor.

The music was a hot, pulsing beat that stirred the blood. They fell into step, twining and moving in perfect unison. They kept the rhythm going for three upbeat songs.

When a popular slow ballad began playing, Duncan pulled Marion close and let his arms settle at her waist. Marion slid her arms around his neck and smiled into his face.

"You're an incredible dancer."

"So are you? Do you want to get out of here and get something to eat?"

"That sounds great. I'm starving," Marion admitted with a laugh.

They left the still-bustling club, and Duncan hailed a cab. "Pat's Place," he ordered and settled into the seat.

Marion surreptitiously studied him as she replied to Hope's text. His skin was just a bit lighter than hers, smooth and taunt over high cheekbones. Full lips curved into an easy smile, and his dark eyes looked dreamy. He was definitely in shape, Marion noted, and so far his sense of humor meshed with hers.

She felt drawn to him, felt a tug in her center each time their eyes met. She was no where near ready for the night to end.

***

Marion dipped a curly fry into ketchup and popped it into her mouth. "So, you're a fireman."

"Dallas Fire and Rescue, Station Fifty-Eight," Duncan replied proudly, taking a bite of his buffalo chicken sandwich.

"I bet that's a stressful and interesting job."

"It can be both. Why are you working behind the camera instead of modeling in front of one? You have the face and body for it."

Marion ran her tongue over her front teeth. "I've never had that desire," she told him. "Plus, I haven't always had this smile."

Duncan caught the flash of sadness in her eyes and hastened to change the subject. "You and Hope seem close. How did you two meet?"

At the mention of her best friend, Marion lit up. "We've known each other since third grade," she answered. "We just clicked."

Marion gave a brief overview of her childhood, glossing over the hell of her high school years, and making him laugh over some of her and Hope's antics.

"What about you?" she asked.

Duncan wiped his mouth with a napkin. "I never wanted to be anything but a fireman. After graduating high school, I went to college and earned a degree in criminal justice to satisfy my mom. Then I applied to the fire academy. I've been at station fifty-eight since then."

Marion checked her watch, her eyes widening when she realized it was almost three a.m.

"Are you ready to call it a night?" Duncan asked.

Marion hesitated. She was full, still a little tipsy, and edging toward sleepy. But she didn't want to break the magic that seemed to be weaving around them.

"No," she finally answered.

Duncan's smile washed over her. "Good. Shall we go back to your place?"

Again, Marion hesitated.

"It's okay," Duncan said gently. "We don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

"That's the problem," Marion admitted in a sudden rush of candor. "I want to do everything with you."

Duncan's laugh rang out. "Well, then. Let's go."

***

Duncan explored Marion's space, taking in the soothing beach colors and tidy rooms. "This is nice. It suits you."

"Thanks. Would you like a drink?"

"Can you make good coffee?"

"You bet." Marion bustled around the kitchen, putting a tray together while the coffee brewed. Duncan carried the tray into the living room while Marion stepped out of her heels and tucked her bare feet under her on the sofa.

Duncan poured them each a cup and leaned back to study her. "Do you feel it, too?"

"Yes," Marion replied simply. There was no use in denying it.

"I want to know what's in here." Duncan lightly touched her forehead. "And in here." He pressed fingers against her heart. "Tell me who Marion Harte really is, and I'll tell you all about Duncan Thomas."

***

They talked. They spoke of childhood hurts, memories they'd rather forget, and hopes for the future.

Marion found herself telling him about the abject poverty she'd grown up in, the awful teasing and bullying she'd endured, and the utter amazement she'd felt after seeing the results of her dental surgery.

Duncan opened up like never before. He told Marion about his parents' contentious divorce when he was seven, his father's death three years later, and his failed engagement when he was nineteen.

Neither of them had felt so drawn to someone else, so comfortable with such a new acquaintance.

It seemed natural and right to move from the sofa to the bedroom.

In muted light, they undressed each other, kissing exposed skin and letting their passion build.

Duncan tumbled her onto the bed, his mouth feasting on hers, his hands learning her body.

Marion arched to his touch, reveling in the sensations of wanting and being wanted in return.

The orgasm, when it hit, was exquisite for them both.

As dawn painted color across the sky, Marion and Duncan slid into satisfied sleep, still tangled together.