Chapter Four

"You did what?" Hope's voice squeaked over the phone.

Marion grinned. "I can't explain it," she told her friend. "It just felt right."

"What are you doing now?" Hope demanded. "Is he still there?"

"Yes," Marion answered truthfully. "We're going to have a late lunch and then go pack his things."

"Why?"

"Duncan is moving in with me."

The silence was long and heavy. Finally, Hope asked, "Are you crazy?"

Marion laughed, a happy, carefree sound. "Maybe. Probably. I can't explain it, Hope," she repeated, "but this is right. I love him."

"You love him? You just met him!"

"I know. It's the craziest thing. I know it makes me sound like a stupid, infatuated fool, but I love him. This is real; this is it for me. I've never been so sure of anything in my life."

Hope's sigh sounded across the phone. "How do you know he feels the same way? That he's not just playing you?"

"My heart knows." It was said simply, softly, and with so much conviction that Hope sighed again.

"Okay. Do you two need any help moving his things?"

"No. He doesn't have much. We can probably get it all in just a trip or two."

"All right, then. Call me in a couple of days, and I'll take you two out to dinner. At the rate you're going, you'll be married in under six months."

On another happy chucked, Marion disconnected as Duncan exited the bedroom.

He walked straight to her, enfolding her in an already-familiar embrace.

She breathed in the scent of him, sandalwood and male, and snuggled closer.

"I love you." Duncan dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

"I love you, too," Marion replied, knowing with everything in her that theirs was a lasting love.