Chapter 8: Invitation

"So, what's new?"

"So, what's new?"

Khushi calmly sipped her coffee, enjoying the chilly November breeze of Delhi. She was found in a small café, not far from the penthouse, meeting her brother, Vihaan, who had called her wanting to discuss "something very urgent". Knowing how dramatic he could be, Khushi grudgingly agreed.

"Earth to Khushi, earth to Khushi," Vihaan said, waving his hand in front of her face.

"I am listening Vihaan," she answered, rolling her eyes. "I am trying to understand what was so urgent that you called me here?"

"Can't I have a cup of coffee with my sister?"

"During working hours? What does Papa think about you slipping away from the office in broad daylight?"

Vihaan shrugged. "He's out of town... went to go sort out that mess with that factory in Bangalore. He's coming back tomorrow."

Khushi raised an eyebrow. "He went himself? Why didn't he send you? Shouldn't you be taking over these things now? I mean-"

"Calm down, it's not what you think," he said quickly. "I had to meet with the wedding planner this week, that's why he didn't send me. Don't always assume the worst..."

Khushi sighed. Right, how could she forget? It was the wedding of the century for the Guptas.

Her brother was getting married. It was arranged (obviously). She overheard her father looking for appropriate alliances long before her own marriage was fixed, but he never seemed to be satisfied with the choices. It was only last month that he finally found the "right" one, someone not only good enough to be a wife, but also the daughter-in-law of the illustrious Alok Raj Gupta. Of course, Khushi was kept far from these dealings. She only managed to get snippets out of Vihaan now and then, who was so embarrassed by the idea of being set up that he had refused to talk about it.

That was until he met Ahana. In just one meeting, he had been smitten; and there was no turning back after that.

Truth be told, Khushi was beyond ecstatic for her brother. Her first impression of Ahana the few times they met was a positive one. She was right for her brother in more ways than he understood himself. It was almost a relief for Khushi to know that after her departure from the Gupta manor, there was at least someone looking after her brother.

"So are you all set then?" Khushi asked. "For the wedding?"

Vihaan grimaced. "The wedding planner is all sorts of nuts... I wasted all day yesterday trying to explain Papa's taste, and she understood nothing."

"Maybe it's not her fault," she replied bitterly. "Papa's taste is horrible."

Look at Arnav, she thought to herself.

"Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the wedding will be hell if she doesn't do what he likes."

"Okay, so get Ahana to talk to her."