Chapter Eleven

'Broken'

Lily stood still in shock, rapidly trying to compute the question her son asked. He knew that they thought he died. He had known this entire time, yet hadn't ever contacted them. Why would he stay so distant? What could he possibly expect them to have done? Lily remembered the painful weeks that she had cried for her son, his death had shattered her. She had been devastated. However, when she thought about it now, it hadn't been weeks, it was in fact barely days. She had been too consumed by Evan. Guilt surged through Lily as she thought about the weeks following Harry's death and funeral. Did Hadrian know this? Was this the point of the question?

Sirius and Remus too, were shocked by the question. Did their godson doubt their love for him? Did he think they hated him? Sirius pondered the issue carefully, they may not have visited often, at all in fact, but they had loved him. Sirius and Remus still bore the worn out, sullen marks and signs that had appeared since Harry's death. Every little thing, James holding Evan, families going out, shops, streets, all reminded the couple of their lost godson. Harry had been like a son to them. Yet he doubted them so, and chose to never reveal himself.

James and Evan stood in disbelief, but this emotion was soon consumed by the underlying feeling of guilt. Neither of the Potter men had mourned their son or brother. James quickly realised that he had been too concerned with Evan's training, rightfully so. The only sorrow he had shown was in front of large crowds and cameras. Truth be told, Evan barely remembered his brother. The boy had been a pale skeleton, watching from behind doors and on the stairs. His hollow gaze had always been filled with longing as he watched his parents cuddle and fuss over his brother. Evan had always enjoyed it, it was something he could hold over his brother, float and brag about to the smaller boy. He had never noticed the boy disappear and his parents had never told him about the funeral until much later, afraid it would interfere with his training and school life.

"Pup. Of course we mourned you! We loved you so much!" Sirius called out, desperation filling his voice. His statement was replied to with a unamused sneer. Harsh, cold, hollow killing curse green eyes mocked him.

"I wasn't refering to myself" Hadrian drawled, shocking them all once more.

"The Dursleys? Of course! They were wonderful, they took you in and loved you like their own! It was just- so horrible that they were killed." Lily responded, glancing at James for support before returning her gaze to Hadrian. Unlike her original thoughts, the boy didn't look joyous or relieved. He looked disgusted, horrified and most importantly betrayed.

"Why! Why the fuck would you mourn for those monsters!" Hadrian abruptly yelled, his voice shattering the silence, cutting like a knife. Remus' mouth opened in shock at the language his young cub had just used. Sirius too had turned to a disbelieving state, though he was more concerned about his godson's statement. Why on earth would his pup think they were monsters?

"Harr-" He began, attempting to reassure and question his godson.

"Don't call me that!" He yelled, interrupting Sirius. Hadrian hated his old name. He had grown to associate the name with so much of his trauma. He blamed Harry for being so weak and not being able to escape his horrid life. He feared becoming Harry again. The name Petunia would say in a sickly sweet sing-song voice before punishing him.

"Harry dear," Petunia sweetly spoke to the seven year old boy, beckoning him forward. Harry gulped down his anxiety and fear and slowly approached his aunt. He knew he had done something wrong, and what become of it wasn't going to be good at all.

"You seem to have forgot to wash the dishes. I even got the water ready for you" She continued, her voice transforming into a scathing hiss near the end as she grabbed the young boy's wrist and dragged him forward. Her talon like nails piercing his skin as she bought him closer to the kitchen sink. Without any warning she grabbed Harry's neck from behind, her nail once more breaking the skin, and plunged his head under the soapy water. Harry kicked out and thrashed as the air threatened to leave his lungs. He felt the pain increasing in his head as his kicks became slower and weaker. The throbbing pain consumed him as his vision darkened. Only moments later, he was pulled from the water, gasping and wheezing and spluttering.

The name Dudley would yell from across the school playground as he and his friends approached.

"Harry! You freak!" Dudley shouted as he waddled towards the skinny boy. Him and his peers quickly formed a circle around Harry, enclosing him and trapping him.

"I-i-" He stuttered, feeling the claustrophobia that originated from the small dark cupboard that he slept under. His unsaid plea was ignored as the boys began pushing him. Punching him repeatedly, smashing his already broken glasses and hurting his already bruised face. The boy had soon fallen to the floor, clutching his sides as he curled up. Kicks rained down upon his leaving him broken and bloodied.

The name that Vernon would whisper behind the closed door of his empty room when they were alone.

"Harry." The bloated man smirked as he held his nephew by his messy black hair. Harry could only shiver at the coldness of the room and his lack of clothing, petrified by his uncle.

"P-please, uncle..." The boy whispered, his lip quivering in fear. His usually unemotional eyes brimming with fear, pleading for an end as they trained on his uncle's horrid grin. The eight year old boy was pushed down harder, his face almost suffocatingly far into the pillows of the bed. Tears flowed freely from his eyes as he heard the unbuckling of a belt behind him.

"Don't worry Harry, I'll make sure you regret your freakishness" Vernon whispered close to the boys ear, his voice quiet yell still deadly and threatening.

The soft murmurs of his mother's voice broke him from those memories. The memories that had been so deeply burried until the boggart. His parents, his family, knew nothing of his life at Privet Drive. He felt disgusted, sick that they believed the lies Vernon and Petunia had told him.

"Har- Hadrian? Are you ok?" Lily softly asked, drawing attention to the boy's shaking form and unusually pale complexion.

"Why would my sister and her family be monsters?" She asked, trying to communicate to the boy who obviously was in distress.

"You don't know what they did at all, do you? No, of course you don't. You believed their lies of a happy little family." Hadrian stated, his voice barely above a whisper, however it was heard throughout the room.

"What are you talking about! Your relatives were kind enough to look after you and this is how you act!" James announced, his anger getting the better of him. This was definitely not the family reunion he had expected. James had wanted to be greeted with open arms by his son and retold some sob story that would excuse never visiting them and using the black name. However, he had been greeted by insolence and hatred from a son who had probably gotten everything he wanted and now wouldn't accept the Potters, thinking he was above them.

"You really ought to rethink that, unless that's too difficult for you Potter." Came Hadrian's scathing remark before they were interrupted by a loud banging on the door. Only Sirius and Lily caught Hadrian's flinch at the loud noise.

The door was abruptly swing open to reveal an angry looking group of Slytherins. Draco quickly strutted into the room, grabbing Hadrian's hand gently before carefully guiding him out the room.

"If you'll excuse us," Daphne said mockingly with a brief smirk towards the Potters. The group hastily retreated towards the courtyard, each comfortingly holding onto Hadrian. Once sitting out of ear's reach, they all turned towards Hadrian, who looked exhausted.

"How much did you hear?" He asked, his head hung with his eyes intently watching the ground.

"Nuh-uh Mister! Don't you dare go looking guilty on us! We don't care if you're a Potter, you're not like them!" Pansy replied, placing a finger under his chin and carefully lifting his head up to face her as she spoke.

"Yea, we care about you Hadrian. And it's obvious to anyone with half a braincell that those relatives hurt you! We're all here for you now." Draco said softly, his fingers still entwined with Hadrian's.

A genuine smile slowly appeared on Hadrian's lips as he glanced around at his friends. He may be broken beyond repair, but his friends still loved him despite this. Unfortunately, no amount of love could put an end to the revenge he had prepared.

***

"Sooner or later, everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences"