☍ prologue

"Hood." 

I looked up from my book. I'd read this book once before, but when my cellmate decided he'd be nice and lend it to me so I don't get too bored, I accepted it with ease, but I didn't think that'd be a problem. It'd been a week since I was officially an inmate at the Silverwater Correctional Complex, and I already had grown accustomed to how things worked. I'd been roomed with someone who didn't seem to hate me and he gave me some pointers. 

There was a security guard at the doorway. "You have a visitor," he grumbled and I jumped up, abandoning my book on my bed. He lead me to the room where you had to speak with your visitor through glass with only a phone. I saw her sitting there with a concerned look on her face, biting at her lip like she usually did when she was nervous. "You have fifteen minutes." I nodded at him as I sat down in the chair in front of her at the speed of light, seeing her look up from her hands with a surprised look. 

Bexley Ryan was the love of my life. 

She had golden blonde hair that framed her face in an angelic way, and bright green eyes that never seemed to stop shining. Her lips were plump and her nose was small, and her pale skin contrasted with mine when we'd lay down in bed on Sunday afternoons, tracing patterns onto each other's skin as we spoke about the world. We met on a Tuesday. I remember because it was usually the day she had no classes at her university. She was shy and I was arrogant, and things took off. 

I fell in love with her on a Monday. It was the day she found out the grade of her huge absolutely hair pulling exam that she took on Friday and complained about it all weekend, and I assured her she'd aced it without problem. And I just remember her coming home at around three, skipping her sociology class, with the biggest possible smile on her face. She told me I was right, she'd aced it. Bexley jumped onto my lap and peppered my face with kisses and I knew then, that this was the girl I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. 

Those eyes that had "never seemed to stop shining" had stopped on this very Wednesday that I faced her through the glass. "Bex," I smiled, leaning as close as possible without touching the plexiglass. She smiled back, but it barely reached her eyes. She held the phone to her ear with a solemn and guilty look on her face. "What's wrong?" 

What I'd said seemed to trigger something because she bursted into tears. I watched as she buried her face into her hands, placing the phone on the counter beforehand. God, I wanted to hold her and kiss her and tell her that whatever it was, it was okay. She wiped at her eyes one last time before taking a deep breath and picking up the phone.

"Calum..." Bexley began, and my stomach dropped. "I'm pregnant."