chapter 2 - faerie dust

"Un-undercover...?" I nervously laughed, "w-what made you think that?"

"You look like a deer caught in headlights..." He quietly said, walking up towards me.

He was at least half a foot shorter than me, but he still intimidated me.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Honestly." I tried to sound legit, but his stone-cold eyes bore into mine.

He continued to look into my eyes and as if it was a flip of the switch, he suddenly grinned.

"I'm playing with you! You just look a little... how do you say this nicely...?" He pondered, "old."

"Old?" I felt offended. Of course, I was 24, but OLD? I tried to come up with an excuse. "I was held back a year. I'm 19"

My life is a lie.

"Ah, makes sense. But... why here? Pulled out of public school huh?"

I nodded.

"Were you being a bad boy?" He teased, making me blush. I quickly looked at the clock to avert his gaze.

"Anyways, I gotta get to class..." I trailed.

He grunted out an answer, snickering.

why was he so curious about me?

I headed out the door with my backpack slung over my shoulder and I suddenly felt a buzz in my pocket.

Taking it out, the phone started to ring furiously.

"Ah, fuck," I whispered to myself. It had my boss's name on my screen. I looked around to see if anyone was nearby and I answered the phone.

"Hello, Noah." His stern voice rung in my ear.

"Uh, sir," I replied.

"I got some new intel about the case. I signed you up for a morning club which is held every Monday, so today."

"Which club? Don't tell me its musical theatre or some gay shit like that." I groaned.

"Chemistry. The club ended just now so you're going to have to wait till next week or you could just visit for a brief moment."

"Wait, but why chem club?"

"We got an anonymous tip from a student there. Apparently, that's where they make the dust."

I grunted a response.

"Bye, Noah."

Chemistry huh? I thought to myself. That girl, Liberty had chemistry club. I could probably ask her about it.

I checked my schedule for my next class, English Lit.

———

"Good morning students! I hope you all had a lovely night's sleep last night!" The young blonde teacher chirped. I awkwardly stood next to her as the class started to settle down.

"We have a new student today! He's been put back a year, so make him feel at home!"

Make him feel at home?

"Anyways class! This is Noah..." She looked at me with a hesitant look.

"Mason. Noah Mason. Thanks," I replied, no emotion showing through.

"Well, I'm Ms. Perth!" She held out her hand and I ignored it.

I was probably older than her.