9. Sink Or Swim

Hmm...
***

"This must be Penny."

Those were the first words that came out of my mother's mouth as she opened the door. She didn't address me, who was in the doorway and the closer of the two visitors. Her attention was already drawn to the girl over my shoulder. To my mother's credit, Penny was smiling and waving excitedly while I was trying to squeeze past her and seat myself on the couch.

"It's so nice to meet you, Mrs. Reed." I could hear Penny's usual bubbly voice greeting my mother already. I placed myself on the couch and started flipping through the channels for the Athletics game. There was no need to introduce Penny. She was going to win over my parents in no time by her own merit anyway.

"Oh, I'm so glad that we finally get to see you." My mother's voice grew louder as the two came into the house. "Dylan has been telling us lots about you."

"All good things, I hope." I glanced over my shoulder just in time to spot Penny sending a playful wink my way.

"Of course. Whenever he comes over, all he talks about is you."

"That's not true," I interjected. Both women just laughed and ignored me. Their near instant friendship was almost frightening.

The sound of footsteps came rumbling down the staircase. A moment later, my father came into view, wearing the Star Wars shirt that he had bought from our Disneyland trip ages ago. I was still a high school student at the time. It was a testament to my father's fitness that he was still able to wear a decade old shirt with ease.

I waved at him, but I didn't have to. He walked right past me without even casting a glance in my general direction. Much like my mother, his attention was fixated entirely on the newest guest.

"Hi, Penny! I'm Dylan's dad. It's so nice to have you here!"

The three of them chatted excitedly as the batter on television struck out looking at a high fastball. I wondered whether my parents or Penny would notice if I snuck out the back door and went to the game instead. We weren't that far away from the Athletics' stadium and I was a low priority in these conversations. It might be a worthwhile venture.

My planned escapade never materialized. Penny came over and plopped herself beside me on the couch. The initial interrogation had concluded. I could assure that there would be more. My parents were rather . . . inquisitive.

"I like your parents. They're sweet," Penny commented.

I let out the breath that I had been unknowingly holding. Somewhere along the way, Penny's thoughts and emotions gained significant importance to me. Her approval of my parents were just as important to me as vice versa.

"I'm glad to hear that. For what it's worth, I like your parents, too. Just in case any clarification was needed."

Penny laughed. "Looks like we got the hard part out of the way."

Perhaps, but my parents weren't about to let Penny off the hook easily. They had a plethora of questions for her over brunch. Nothing invasive or mean spirited, but as I said, my parents were inquisitive people. Twenty eight years in and their son finally brought a girl to meet them. They understandably had questions for Penny. I, too, would be wondering why someone like her would settle for someone like me.

The spotlight didn't bother Penny one bit. She fielded all of the questions with a grace that I should have came to expect, but continued to remain in awe every time I saw it. Not once did she seem uncertain of an answer. Every response was poised, confident, and natural. She even returned fire with some of her own curveballs. Penny definitely held her own against my parents, and I could read the smile on their faces as a sign of approval. Never in doubt.