The chicken dance Ritual

Morgana was certain she had succeded. That was the last information Agravaine, now former royal adviser, had been able to gift her with.
Merlin was powerless. But the towns people still spoke of the announcement of the court sorcerer. How could that be? Was Arthur that trusting that Merlin's magic would return?

Had they found a way?

They spoke of the old tradition to let him go to the crystal cave. The place where magic was born, as they said. Perhaps he thought he would get his powers back there?
Morgana was furious. But knowing of their plan now, she knew precisely what had to be done.

She would be waiting for Emrys. In his precious cave. He will not see her coming. And he will never get what he is searching for.

-------------------------

"We honor thee, sorcerer of sorcerers. Man of magic and wonders. Immortal creature, stuck with the living ...
We shall shower you in our peasant blood", the man threw a cup of red liquid in Merlin's face.
Who had to stand and indure all of this bullshit without changing his expression.
The knights were cackling behind him, barely containing their laughter, as Sir Gwaine – or let's say the newly announced high priest of the religion of Emrys -
tried to drink the last sip out of the golden goblet.

"That is vine, isn't it.", Merlin huffed, as Gwaine cut an apple in small slices.

"Psst. Don't ruin it.", Gwaine hushed him, starting to apply his apples to Merlin's face.
Merlin was long passed done with this shit.
He was, indeed, wearing the green dress Arthur had sorted for this day especially.
It wasn't very fitting and hard to walk in. And all the added chicken feathers, colored in yellow and orange, made him sneeze into Gwaine's face.

Gwaine just wiped his face with a grin, before grabbing for a dark blue paste. It was supposed to look like blood. But Merlin knew it was just mud with a lot extra blue berries.

"Gwaine, don't you dare!"

"I have to! The people are watching!", he said, pointing his thumb at the mass of witnesses behind them.
"I hate you."

"You shall be salved in the name of the royal knights and his majesty, the king and his ancestors.
Blue blood shall be your ally and your responsibility.", Gwaine grabbed for Merlin's hair, covering it completely in the blue muddy substance.

Merlin could feel the cold grime running down his neck and he knew, his skin would be blue stained for weeks to come.

"And now, you are bound to your king, young sorcerer. You shall sing him the long lost song of the knights of Huhn (German for chicken XD)) and dance the traditional dance that shall demonstrate your devotion to your king."

Gwaine stepped back from Merlin, bowing once, as though he wasn't totally humiliating his best friend just now.
They could hear sniffles and excited chuckles from the audience.

Behind them on the platform was Arthur. He sat on a gold and silver peddled throne, speaking to Gaius quietly. He looked the most contained, but someone who knew him would know that he could barely hold himself together.

"Is this really what was written in the books?", Arthur asked.
Gaius sighed. "I'm afraid, it is."
"Really? Because I'm 90% certain Gwaine made all this up.
"Due all respect, my lord. I have seen Nimueh perform the very same dance before.", Gaius insisted, laughing at the memory.

"Just because it happened before, doesn't mean Gwaine didn't make it up.", they heard Leon mumble to himself.
But before they could question him, Merlin had already started to jump around. Gackering and cackling and bauking aloud as he followed the precise steps, Percival had showed him the day before.