Dark Times

I open my eyes. We must have landed whilst I slept on Quaem. I gaze at the twinkling stars in the night sky. I remembered what Quaem told me about each star being a symbol of when time was altered and I studied them. There must be thousands, if not millions of stars up in the sky and I wondered if time had ever been altered for me or my friends. The wind picked up and I shivered, putting on my armour to warm up. I could hear Quaem's snores and I wondered how far we flew. It was impossible to tell. I studied the forest. It seemed foreign compared to the woods I knew, and I decided it looked similar to a jungle I had read about in my books. I didn't think they actually existed though.

A blue glow appeared in the corner of my eye and I checked my weapons were securely fastened before walking towards it. I felt this extraordinary tug, almost a pull towards it and I weaved through the vines and trees before I came to a clearing, similar to the one I had just left. My hand tightened on the grip of my sword as I stepped into the clearing, a blue glow washing over my face. Instantly, all noise ceased and I spun round, panicking.

"Relax Amy. I'm not here to hurt you,". I turned to my right and gasped. In front of me was the Infinity Dragon, Kyros. I sank to my knees and bowed my head.

"There's no need for that. I only wanted to talk to you,". I rose and perched on a log, before studying him. His scales were so dark, they were almost black, and white speckles covered his wings. They were about the length of Electra's wings, but as Electra wasn't fully grown, they would be classed as stubby. Tendrils waved lazily down from his chin and his eyes were a soft colour, almost pale yellow.

"What about?". I asked, puzzled.

"You,". He said simply. "You see, 'twas many a years ago since I've seen someone who hath so much spark. I simply had to come and talk to you. Thy has an inexpressible aura surrounding you, one that radiates power and it hath not been see for many a year,".

"I don't understand,". I said hesitantly.

"Thou will," I flushed.

"No, I mean I don't understand the way you talk with all the 'thy' and 'hath'',".

"That is a habit. I alternate between both,".

"Oh, ok,".

"Thou must understand, I have come to you for a reason. Dark times are a coming and you will need to harness your powers in both forms. Thy must have faith in oneself,".

He starts to fade. I rush forwards.

"Wait! Why did you need to see me? Define dark times? Wait!". He smiles sadly before responding, his voice almost carried away by the whispering breeze and the sound of animals.

"Thou will understand,".

I didn't mention my midnight meeting to Quaem. When I got back he was still asleep and so I just stared into the fire thinking. Why did Kyros come to meet me, when he didn't even deign to answer my questions? My thoughts swirled around my head like leaves in a winter breeze and I was glad when Quaem woke up. He opened one ruby eye to look at me, before stretching.

"We'll get there today,". I nodded mutely, before standing up and mounting him. His scales shone in the morning rays as he took off, the muscles beneath me tightening as he broke free of the foliage.

"So,".  I said.

"So,". He replied.

"What are you going to do when this quest is over?". Quaem thought for a moment

"I don't know. I'd like to try and find a mate, but I think my main priority is to go back to where I was born. When I was younger I always wanted to see the waterfalls of Sileon. They are said to be so tall, you can't see the top of them. They're covered in clouds at the top,".

"Cool!". I said, imagining it, as I swung my leg over Quaem's back. He bunched up his forelegs, and launched into the air.

A few hours later, I can feel us descending. I stretch my arms and yawned, my joints cracking as I regain some feeling in my limbs. The juddering thump didn't affect me as I slid off Quaem.

"Which hill is the Orofile?". I asked, staring at the mountainous landscape. It was very quiet, and I was surprised that there was no snow on the tops pf the hills. Everywhere you looked was a lush, bright green and trees sprouted up everywhere. Conifers, oaks, and I'm quite sure there was a maple tree in the forest on the opposite hill.

Quaem chuckled. "What do you mean which hill? All of them are the Orofile!".