Hierarchy

"So, you beat up Isen, Tanner, Rouker, and Abel in order to get their abilities?" Seraphina asked John after she woke up. They were in the infirmary, and although her injuries have been healed thanks to John, Doctor Darren decided to keep her for observation. Arlo, Elaine, Remi, and Blyke had came by to visit her and Isen, who was recovering from his injuries after his fight with John.

"Yeah. I wore a mask, and no, it's not that lunch bag," John said as Seraphina snickered. "I only took off my mask when I reached you because I knew they would be suspended and I wanted to make sure you knew that I wasn't a stranger who was going to hurt you. I didn't want you to be scared of me."

"Either way I would've figured out it was you, because of the color of your eyes when they are glowing." Seraphina pointed out. "But did you really have to attack Isen?"

"Yes. That prick pried into my past and broke my wrist," John said, loud enough for Isen to hear him from the other side of the curtain. "He should have known that was coming." Seraphina could have sworn she heard Isen whimper.

John looked at the clock. "Shoot, I can't miss the next class. The teacher said she'll fail me if I miss anymore classes without an excuse. Will you be okay here?"

"Yeah, I'm good. I'll see you later."

John smiled and waved at Sera as he exited the infirmary.

Seraphina got up from the bed and walked around the curtain to Isen's side. He was curled into a ball, hiding his face underneath the blanket. She found it strangely amusing to see the normally proud elite-tier cowering in fear. She almost wanted to send a picture of him to Remi and Blyke, but that would mean having to explain to them why he looks so terrified, and it would be cruel to capitalize on Isen's obvious fear of John.

"Is that what happened, Isen?" She asked, crossing her arms. Isen peeked up from under the covers.

"Y-Yeah..."

"Why?"

"I-I was forced to pry into John's past by Arlo."

"And why would Arlo do such a thing?"

"Because John wasn't acting like an actual low-tier. I regretted looking into his past as soon as I saw his New Bostin High School transcript. I know you don't have your ability right now, but when it comes back please don't kill me," Isen pleaded.

Seraphina sighed. "I'm not going to hurt you. I think John already taught you that lesson."

Isen relaxed a little at her words. Then he realized, when did she find out about John? Did John tell her? "Hey Seraphina, how did you know about John's ability? He doesn't seem like the person who would tell anyone, and from what I remember he never told you." Isen asked curiously, lowering the blanket.

The former Ace snorted. "John actually didn't tell me by choice. His father unintentionally exposed him. He forgot to inform his father about him lying to me."

"Are you serious? He was just asking for you to find out about his ability if he didn't make sure all of the loose ends were tied up." Isen joked, imagining John's reaction to his father ratting him out to Seraphina.

"Yeah, he was." Seraphina turned to look at the clock. About two hours before school ends. She didn't want to stay cooped up in here. She wanted to go to the roof and wait for John's classes to be over. John had healed all of her injuries before they reached the infirmary, so technically she was okay to leave. "Well, I might as well head out too. I hope you get better soon."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seraphina was waiting for John on the roof when he walked through the door, looking both angry and devious.

"What is that look on your face for now?" She asked, slightly worried about his answer.

"Well, I've decided to destroy this hierarchy." John replied.

Seraphina was taken aback by his answer. "Wait, what? Why?"

John explained the argument between him and Arlo. "He told me to 'take my place in the hierarchy,'" he said, mocking the blonde's words. "I will, but at the cost of his stupid hierarchy."

"What are you planning?"

John explained his plan to Seraphina. "I'm going to make my way up to Arlo through everyone above Isen."

"But why not just go for Arlo directly? Your problem is with him, right?"

John sighed. "I'm not just planning to take down Arlo. I'm going to make a mockery out of this whole system. Besides you, these high-tiers step on the backs of others in order to ensure they stay on top. I'm just going to give them a taste of their own medicine."

Although Seraphina couldn't care less about what happened to Arlo or the hierarchy, she was concerned about everyone John would be fighting, especially Remi. She knew how ruthless John was, and she was fearful that he would seriously injure them. "John, please don't go overboard," she pleaded. "I understand how you feel about everything, but please don't hurt them like you did with those mid-tiers. They don't deserve to be beaten like that."

"I won't do that to them, I promise." John looked away from her, guilt apparent on his face. "I... lost control of myself when I saw you bloodied and beaten. I wanted to exact revenge on them for hurting you. I'm sorry you had to see that side of me. I never wanted you to see it." John said, looking away from Seraphina, his bangs covering his eyes.

Seraphina hated how despondent John looked. He was normally so confident and full of bravado, that she sometimes has to be reminded that he has his vulnerabilities. The former Ace hugged John tightly. "John, you're not a bad person. You just need help. I mean actual help, not those tortuous readjustment classes you had to take. You have control over yourself, you just have to believe it," Seraphina then snorted. "As a matter-of-fact, your self-control is legendary."

"What? What do you mean 'legendary'?" John asked, not believing her. He pulled away from Seraphina to look her in the eyes.

"Well, even while you were bullied almost daily, you acted as a cripple for almost two years. If you didn't have self-control you would have snapped a long time ago. Hell, I know I would have if I were in your place."

"But what about those mid-tiers? What about Isen, Zeke and Juni? What about everyone else I had hurt?"

"You only attacked them because of me. Also, last time I checked you haven't killed anyone, so I think you're good."

"Yeah... you're probably right." John hugged Seraphina tightly, mentally thanking whatever deity or deities blessed him with such a great friend. "What would I do without you, Sera?"