Chapter 8: Gospel

Song Recommendation: All Bad by JID ft. Mereba "And if I'm trying to tell the truth, it's all bad; 'Cause if you looking for the proof, it's all there come on, baby, I'ma tell the truth and nothing but the truth"
     Currently, the whole Baglio family was seated at a very expensive restaurant with the Critch family at the opposite side of the table. Just her luck Sage had to face the man she did not want to see, even more than her father. Jay. Ever since the party he hasn't glanced in her direction and she preferred it that way but now his eyes could barely leave her and Sage had to pretend like all was well.
The Critch Family:

     "You know my daughter applied to all the Ivy League schools

     "You know my daughter applied to all the Ivy League schools. She plans on staying on the east coast for her higher education." Mr. Baglio explained before stabbing his fork in his omelet.

     Sage rolled her eyes and sipped her lemon water for the hundredth time in the row, she was already over this brunch and they just received their food.
Sage's Brunch Vibes:

     "Oh, that's wonderful, Frank

     "Oh, that's wonderful, Frank. Maybe Jay will see you at Princeton," Mrs. Critch winked at Sage. She was innocent to all of this tension so Sage just shot back with a small smile and directed her attention to her phone. Dave texted her phone saying: "Where my baby at?"

     She grabbed her phone from her lap and replied: "Missing you. My parents are making me eat lunch with Jay..." Before she knew it her phone buzzed and she looked around the table catching Jay's eyes again. Sage excused herself quietly before making her way to the bathroom and answering Dave's call.

      "Yo what the fuck you talkin' 'bout?" He sounded angry because he thought he made it clear that Jay shouldn't be in her presence.

     "Babe it's not in my control! My dad organized lunch with his and my family. Please don't be mad at me." Sage pleaded. She was more concerned with the fact that he might perceive her as unfaithful or untrustworthy.

     Dave sighed, "Baby I ain't mad at you. Yo pops think this is eharmony. Fuck wrong with him?"

     "I know. I wanna see you though. Whatchu doin?" She asked curiously. She wanted so badly to escape from the mess at the table.

     "Countin stacks, mamas. If you wanna come see me you probably finna see some shit you not used to." He replied honestly. He was at one of the traps trying to move a certain amount of money while one of his workers was oiling bullets to prevent their guns from jamming.

     "I don't care what you're doing as long as I'm with you." And that was the truth she felt for a long time. Sometimes the pair would do simple things but she enjoyed every second. She couldn't get enough of him the more she saw him.

     "Say less. I'm about to send an Uber to you right now, mamas." Dave replied.

     Sage stalked back to the table where everyone was laughing and enjoying their food. Jay was the only quiet one, the only time he spoke was to answer a question or to show gratitude towards any praise from the other parents.

     His eyes fell on her as she announced to the table that she had to go. He knew where she was headed, it was so obvious to him that she was going to whoever that man was that fucked with him at his party. Jay didn't take well to people that messed with him and anyone that messes with him gets dealt with.

     "Nice talking to you, Mr. and Mrs Critch," Sage muttered before gathering her purse and leaving a confused set of parents.

***

     If it weren't for David at the bottom of the steps, Sage would have thought he sent her to the wrong location. She walked over to him and hugged his waist and in return he grabbed her ass and started kissing all over her face.

     "Ow! You be hurting me when you slap that hard!" She laughed as she buried her head in his chest. She took in the cologne that was clearly present on his body and snuggled into his open Moncler coat.

    "Where my kiss at?" He took her face and kissed all over and after about the fifth kiss, Sage pulled away complaining about the cold.

     "Babe, where the fuck are we?" She was finally taking in her surroundings outside the trap, except she didn't know it was a 'trap.'

     "Sooo..." He tugged her arm, gesturing for her to follow him into the house. This house was one of the few dozen houses he had that were in a low income neighborhood. "Remember that business I'm always talkin' bout?"

     "Yeah..." She replied slowly still not understanding. Dave whispered to one of the guys transporting kilos in a bag and the guy nodded dropping everything and leaving them by themselves in the living room .

      "C'mere." He patted his lap and she plopped down on it waiting for him to answer.

     "Did I just see cocaine? And was he holding a gun?" Her brows furrowed together and her nose wrinkled in deep thought.

     "This...this is what I do." He waited for her to respond and for the first time in a while he felt anxious. He didn't know if she was going to start distancing herself for hiding this part of him or just the fact that he's a drug dealer. He was conflicted because on the one hand, letting her know the truth about his 'business' made him feel lighter but on the other hand he was afraid he was going to lose her and he wasn't ready for that.

     She couldn't grasp why she wasn't angry or upset for the chaos that is his life or the fact that he's been keeping this from her. "I-I don't even know what I..."

      He rubbed her thigh and let silence wash over the room, the only sound was distant voices upstairs. She didn't know if this was worth leaving him for either but she didn't even think that was an option. Her feelings were too deep, whatever it is he does he had to do for a reason or else he wouldn't be doing them.

     "I hope I didn't let you down." Dave said more to himself but she heard it. He fell back on the couch and rubbed his face. This was a new kind of sorrow, he never was ashamed before.

      "No...I just. You know as young as I can remember I knew I was set for life. My dad, he got me everything I wanted. I guess..." She stopped when she felt a large lump in her throat, she didn't know why she was so emotional. She didn't know if the emotions came from the circus that were her parents mixed with this or why but she felt the water works long before they went rolling down her face. "I guess I never seen beyond my little bubble. I-It's just, it's different." And then the tears came rolling down her cheeks and the hiccups began and that's when Dave took her into his arms and held her until he heard light snores.

Endnote: Talk to me! What ya think?