Chapter 27: Burg

Song Recommendation: Jungle by A Boogie "This is all I ever wanted nigga
Why would I let you take it from me nigga?
I ain't stupid, ain't no dummy nigga
A couple fingers on a couple triggers"

It has been about a day since David held Marcus's life in his hands. After Keenon gunbutt his head the day before yesterday, he's been in and out of consciousness. He had some girl named Nessa try to nurse Marcus back to health. It was only so that he was conscious enough to respond to the line of questioning that was bound to be shot at him. The warehouse was capacious, dull in color and had several different sections. David had ownership of the warehouse since his OG died. On paper, the dealings inside the warehouse were legal but obviously it was a cover that escaped suspicion for a long time.

When he arrived, security on his team were lined up with makks, aks, and other weaponry in front of Marcus. He was seated in a plastic chair in the center of everyone as Nessa continued to work on his face, Marcus' eyes remained open longer than usual. He scanned the room swiftly, taking in the situation he was in. What the fuck did I get into?

Aubrey walked into the section where everyone was at and greeted his brother. "East, hey."

     "Where were you at?" Dave asked him, speaking quietly so no one else could hear him

"Where were you at?" Dave asked him, speaking quietly so no one else could hear him. He turned to him waiting for him to answer but Aubrey shrugged, not ready to admit he had just come from therapy.

"Just had to handle some business. I'll tell you about it later."

"You okay though?"

"Yeah I am. Truly." Aubrey flashed him a genuine smile and clapped, "Let's get this show on the road."

The pair approached where Marcus was at, struggling to be unbinded from the rope around his wrist. It didn't make sense because guns were being pointed at him even if he did break free. His mouth was covered with duct tape so Dave snatched it off. He was ready for some answers.

"Yo, I know you know what's up. Why don't you cut some time and give me what we want to know?" He said bluntly. His arms were crossed over his crisp white tee but he wasn't afraid to dirty it with Marcus' blood, especially since he had his own piece tucked in his jeans. Aubrey moved in to rejoin his side and help with this round of questioning.

"Yo fuck you man!" Marcus' spat. They didn't expect this to be a smooth rodeo as most gangsters die by their loyalty, but they had a trick up their sleeve. The people on Dave's team looked at him to see if he wanted them to strike him for talking shit, but that was the last thing he needed to get him to respond healthwise.

"Ay yo, Nessa, swing me that iPad!" Dave called out. It wasn't long until she placed the tablet in his hand and disappeared into the back again. He accepted it and opened the app that was watching Marcus' baby mother and young daughter entering their home, at the park and being dropped off at school. "You love them?" His voice was icy and leveled, as he lowered the tablet to show him.

Marcus didn't answer because it was obvious he did. He pulled in his lip and looked away. "Why the fuck--"

"We asking the questions, nigga! If you tryin' to see your daughter and the mother of yo child you just answerin'!" Aubrey retorted. Marcus knew he was really backed into a corner at this point and remained quiet.

"Now, you know everything. So where Sage at right now?" That was the golden ticket to actually finding her and he was all ears.

Marcus was exhausted, his head was throbbing and he felt woozy, but that didn't matter to his captors because he was an accomplice to something that meant a lot to their leader. He had no way out but to give it up. "Jamaica Estates."

"Address, nigga!" So he did and then spit out blood.

"What's this mean for my kid? And her mother?" He wasn't with her but he would love for his daughter, Melody to not be an orphan. The fear in his eyes clicked in David's mind. He realized the fear of possibly losing a kid seemed to be greater than any fear including his own life.

"These better be the right answers," was all he said because hurting kids was off limits. They decided on keeping him alive to retrieve more information and solidify the address he gave them later on.

***

Ironically, Sage was meditating to find peace within her soul when Jay cracked the door open. She didn't hear him at first but she stood to get up, turned around and then bolted towards him to slap him anywhere she could reach. Her blood was bubbling with so much passion and anger, it took him all he could to contain her. She moved back with tears welling in her eyes but instead of saying anything she ran to the bathroom and locked the door shut.

"Sage! Open up!" He bellowed, twisting the doorknob. He didn't have the key to her bathroom on him because he didn't think she'd react like that.

"Fuck you! How could you?"

"Sage...don't do this..."

"You're the kidnapper!"

"Fuck you, Sage!" He was losing his patience because in his mind she was overreacting. Jay believed he was being pretty generous with the set up and allowing her space and time to herself. Meanwhile, on the other side of the door Sage had a ball of mixed emotions that ranged from agitation, fury, and unease.

My parents won! I can't handle the real world! I manage to get abducted by someone right under my nose. She banged her head against the wooden door back and forth until she slid down to the floor again.

"Leave me alone," she finally told him.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes!"

"Let's talk," he begged.

"You always wanna fuckin' talk! Start being a decent human!" She remembered the last time he wanted to talk, had her fooled for the last time too. She got up and opened the door, revealing the craziest man she knew. All she could do was push pass him, but he grabbed her by the wrist and tugged her forward. "Listen, cut the act. You knew this shit was coming."

"Why are you always hurting me if you claim to love me so much?" She gritted her teeth and snatched her arm back. "It's because you don't," she said the last part stumbling back onto her bed, sitting on the edge.

He rubbed his temple taking in the room around him. "You're an ungrateful bitch, that's why. Something is always wrong to you, you're never satisfied, Sage!"

"You're a psycho!" She pulled herself up again and walked towards him, pointing her finger in his face accusingly. "You absolutely can't stand the fact that I don't want you! You are so spoiled and entitled--" The slap across her face could be heard around the world. She held her cheek as it stung, her breathing getting heavier.

"You're fucking fault I did that!" He picked her up again by the neck, almost lifting her. Her eyes widened as all of the air left her lungs. "Get with the program," he unhanded her neck, Sage's small body plummeting to the carpet in the room. As her face continued to burn and her neck became numb, she regretted ever coming out the bathroom. Not wanting to come to terms with what he's just done Jay walked over her to get to the door.

She stayed on the floor all night, hoping her wish on the star she dreamed of came true soon. To be home.

Endnote: This chapter broke my heart.