38

The next morning (or when we wake up) we travel through the channels of darkness, my only comfort being all of my companions, and my husband who sticks close to me. He let me curl up against him last night when we slept on the hard floor. I found sleep because of him, not sure if he did or not.

I don't think I'm claustrophobic... but it seems like I could be under here.

Even so, I keep my composer. I think tactically, looking for signs of a way out. We spend hours walking through this under-city, encountering places where the earth had collapsed on the tunnels and stone blocks some hallways.

As we walk I notice Aragorn has the sniper rifle I packed from the bunker on his back with the backpack.

I wonder if he can just snipe Sauron in the face.

Thranduil's torch shines on something to the right and I gasp. "That's it!" I say running to the metal ladder.

Legolas chases after me almost immediately. And then the others catch up.

I stand there looking up at the tiny beams of light that shine through the holes in the circular plate.

I click off my light and stick it in the pack on Aragorn. Then I ready my pistol... as the others seem to do the same.

"Who should exit first?" Legolas asks.

"I will. I have fast reflexes. If there are orcs right above us I can deal with them," Thranduil volunteers as he loads his rifle.

He leaps up the ladder swiftly and lifts up the metal door. We don't hear anything above us as the light leaks into the room. Thranduil slides the lid over and steps onto the ground.

Legolas hops up and joins him after we hear no firing. Then he beckons for me and holds out his hand. I can get up without that but I take his hand anyway to not leave him hanging.

The light of day returns to my eyes and I blink a few times. But the sunlight feels warm on my skin and I breathe the-almost-fresh air.

I open my eyes to see that we are still in the city, but further out than before, white reflecting off the steel and glass buildings.

Éowyn climbs out of the hole and then Aragorn.

I gaze near the sun to find out which way is northeast, seeing as that might be our best bet. I think and then turn to my elf. "We should head-" but I am cut off from him putting a protective arm out in front of me as he frowns into the distance.

I stand there letting him protect me and that's when I see orcs emerging from the buildings and alleys. My eyes dart around us and I notice more and more of them... we are surrounded. And they inch towards the street and to us.

I cock my pistol with wide eyes as the others hold their weapons up slowly.

"Take out the archers first," Thranduil says quietly without moving his lips.

The skin on my fingers grips my weapon tightly as my eyes search for an orc marksman.

I catch one of the demons behind another as he loads an arrow...

"Now!" I shout and lift my arm, firing straight towards my prey and watching his head whip back from the string of blood flying off his face.

I duck as another arrow whizzes over me. Gunfire, snarls, and ugly battle cries echo around the city and immediately we focus fire on the path we were trying to take before, mowing down an opening wide enough.

Another arrow flies by from a different direction but Legolas lifts up his rifle and lets it take the archer out with only two shots.

Thranduil and Legolas have already taken out all of the marksmen.