Chapter Seventeen

Cassandra

The sight before me is one I want to embed into my brain for the rest of my life.

Still convinced it's a mirage Elijah's unknowingly conjured up or possibly some cruel joke that one of the gods have dangled to show me what can never be, I lay exactly where I woke up to find a toddler nestled, comfortably, against one of the most dangerous vampires in existence.

Not that he'd ever hurt her. Maybe once I wouldn't have been so sure, considering the time I've spent witnessing his harrowing past, but he's changed since I've met him. He's begun absorbing the light I believe Jehovah has withheld throughout the years, so that he may shrewdly deposit it on him in preparation for the baptism of all baptisms.

Eternal Divinity.

It's already rare to see Elijah's healing process, the only time his eyes purposely close. It's unimaginable to see him curled up against a child I'm sure he hasn't even learned the name of. An image I was sure only my dreams could have imagined has manifested into this realm lying in repose, sending shockwaves to my spirit. Noiseless, they slumber peacefully, perhaps blissfully unaware of the company.

I'm resolved to watch until one of them wakes, having lit a candle beside the bed. My stomach gurgles, desperate for substance, but I refuse to move. Elijah's hair has fanned down over his eyes, over the bridge of his straight nose. The dark oak color of his hair is a subtle contrast from her black pin-straight hair that rests against his chin in their closeness. While her cheek is pressed to his bare chest, his arms aren't around her, laying at his sides, unknowingly allowing her to mold against the embodiment of security... a creature made to protect.

I have to resist reaching out to touch him, giving him the rest he deserves and so rarely gets.

The confessions are still raw, a trauma brought back to the forefront of my mind. I knew there was no moving forward until he knew everything, what I'd grown accustomed to over the years. Akan's betrayal in Hell seemed like the final piece of my broken heart shattering against a concrete surface. It felt like there was no coming back from it. It brought forth an abandonment that made the days easier. I didn't have to fight so hard, and yet, because I did that, because I lost hope, I fell to unimaginable depths.

Depths Elijah got a glimpse of last night.

A night we promised would be spent reacquainting ourselves with each other became something else entirely, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. He should be able to trust me when we meet for such closeness again. He shouldn't have to wonder if Samael will try to interfere, God forbid.

In truth, it's been so long that I can wait for the right time. We both can.

There's rustling outside the door, gentle voices as humans rise, performing their morning rituals. The air smells of earth and roots, a touch of jasmine whiffing down the hall and under our closed door.

The little girl is the first to wake, yawning just as Jiayi opens the door, no doubt in search of her.

Finding me awake, he smiles apologetically. Elijah's green eyes suddenly pierce mine, dilated from the intrusion. We both glance to the doorway as the child sleepily crawls to the edge of the bed, where Jiayi reaches down to grab her.

"I'm so sorry for this."

My head shakes, compelled to show him how little I minded her presence. "Is she usually so open to vampires? I don't think a child has ever willingly come near me."

"She's grown amongst our strangeness. Perhaps that has something to do with it. She's not usually this attached to strangers."

"That's completely fine," Elijah says, sounding just as hesitant to see her go as I am.