Chapter Twenty-Seven

Italy

                                         Cassandra

The ancient steps of the Tribunal are rarely a welcoming sight. However, after a trek through Chinese wilderness and a somber flight back to Rome, these stony walls are looking rather confining... which is exactly what we all need.

A moment alone. A moment to re-gather our wits and focus ourselves to the important tasks at hand. Our final days in China left a dent on many lives, not only ours, but also the vampires who have accompanied us back in search of a new life.

The necklace dangling from my throat exacted a heavy price. We are all feeling it keenly.

I expected Erika would be hard at work in her new position, unable to spare time to greet us. I'm relieved to see I was wrong. Before we're even reaching the heavily-guarded doors, already open for our arrival, she's striding out from the candlelit darkness, looking every bit a leader. Her immaculate clothing only reminds me of my own disheveled appearance. I'm in desperate need of a shower.

I didn't know it until now, but judging by her face, Elijah's already informed her of the unfortunate turn of events. She wraps herself around both Damien and Paris, pain written blatantly on her features. Over Damien's shoulder, her expressive eyes meet mine and then Elijah's.

"I'd wager you're in desperate need of a day off."

She embraces me next, and I relax into her reassuring presence. "You have no idea."

"Have you managed to locate the drawing we sent?" Elijah asks her, a man with a one-track mind. Considering we're not even a full foot inside the building, everyone regards him with bewilderment, even the vampires that traveled with us from China. Erika turns to those not in our immediate party with a sanguine expression.

"I've had rooms prepared. Meals will be brought in after you've had a chance to rest. Henri will lead you in." Following a lanky chauffer, with a polite bow to Erika, Jiayi and the others depart, no doubt eager to be away from the danger that surrounds us everywhere we go. When they're out of earshot, even for vampires, Erika returns to Elijah's question. "I combed through The Book of Omens, with extra care. I'm sorry to say I found no such symbol in its pages. Perhaps you're recalling another artifact?"

Elijah shakes his head. "No. It was the book. I'm completely certain."

"I triple-checked, Elijah."

"It's in there." His eyes brave the sharpness of the sun to admire the building, these walls that hold the colorful stories of his life. He's commanded in these walls. He's died in these walls. He's exacted revenge and overthrown leaders in these walls. "How have you fared here?"

Erika grins, slowly. "What can I say? You were right. I was born to force others to my will."

Elijah rolls his eyes. "Oh dear God."

She grabs my hand, squeezing it. "I'm so relieved to see your faces. I feared what you were heading into. By the looks of it, it wasn't easy."

"It wasn't all horror," Paris whispers, glancing to me. "Some of it was... wonderful."

The unspoken memories linger over our heads, echoes of the highs and lows that have shaped our journey. Erika's gaze settles on the jewel on my neck. She reaches out to grasp it in her hand, and I'm stunned to see Elijah's entire body flinch beside me. He prevents himself from stopping her, but not before she notices. Startled, she stares at him, unsurely.

His smile is apologetic, almost embarrassed. "That is the only barrier... between him and her."

She releases it, out of courtesy, I think. "You'll find this place much changed, I believe."