Chapter 9 - Midnight

Estera was hiding in the shadow of a doorway when Samson exited the Weather Room. She had planned to sneak inside to eavesdrop on them, but opening the door to the basement would've made too much noise. Part of her wanted to wait for Magnus to come out, but her instincts told her to follow Samson instead. He was suspicious during their trip to the trading post, and she was lucky he didn't see her talking to Dev.

So, if she was going to put a stop to his skepticism, then she needed to be more watchful and figure out how to mislead him.

Tiptoeing a careful few paces behind, she kept to the shadows, avoiding the other citizens still wandering around. He walked across town before pausing between two buildings, squatting, and lifting a sewage cover. He disappeared inside, and her gut twisted with the question of whether or not to follow him down there. But how would she get answers if she didn't take risks? Stepping out of the darkness, she made her way into the sewer and landed with a soft splash. Samson was several feet ahead, with a lantern in hand casting bursts of light onto the path. He paused to glance over his shoulder, which forced her to flatten herself against the cold masonry of the tunnel. When he proceeded forward, she waited for a few beats before emerging.

The tunnel was long, and every once in a while, she could feel the brush of a chilly breeze, but from which direction she couldn't tell. On the other hand, the squeak of rats skittering across the shallow water, was very much apparent as the weight of their tiny bodies raced over her boots, several times.

When he reached the end, Samson opened a gate that enclosed the sewage tunnel from the outside. Its hinges screeched in protest as he slid through, and her heart thumped while she waited for her turn. She had no idea what waited on the other side, and for all she knew, Samson was aware of her presence. Maybe even betting on her following him?

After sneaking through the gate, she crawled up a ravine to remain hidden amongst the wild grass and thicket of trees. In the distance, the light from the lantern in Samson's hand was the only thing that made him visible in the dark evening hour. He crouched by a creek, it's water a glittery current under the spotlight of the luminous moon. Twigs snapped somewhere nearby, and Estera jerked her neck in its direction while feeling around on the ground for a rock to defend herself. However, two people, Samson's age, emerged from the trees and rushed up to him.

"Dude, where've you been? We've been out here for thirty minutes, waiting," one of them complained, and Estera recognized him from the celebration.

"Sorry, Abel. Got into it with my brother."

"Do you want to talk about it?" the girl asked.

"No, but thanks, Izzy."

"Well, the best way to get over a fight..." Abel struck a match and cupped the flame while bringing it to his face. "Is to inhale a big puff of this."

"So, what's the deal with that girl?" Izzy asked. "Did you find out anything at the trading post?"

"Not really, but I've got her cornered. There's no way I'm letting her take advantage of my brother."

"Take advantage? From what I've heard, no one's gotten into your brother's pants in years. He's too focused on work," Abel replied with smoke escaping his mouth.

"Never underestimate us women." Izzy wagged her finger. "If we want something badly enough, we'll get it."

"Guys..." Samson said. "I think she's from the south."

"What!" Izzy and Abel exclaimed.

"I saw her talking to someone, and I just have this feeling, you know?"

"So, what are you gonna do?" Abel asked.

"I don't know. But I think I should tell my father."

"Well, whatever you decide, we have your back," Izzy replied.