Chapter 6 - Celebration

A symphony of conversations flooded Estera's ears and wove through her cochleas as soon as she slipped through the Great Hall doors with Magnus. The place was already filled with people mingling in small groups, or hanging around the wine barrels stationed in the corners of the room. A dancefloor took up the center, with some already swaying to the live music band playing on a stage off to the side of the buffet.

Estera tried keeping close to Magnus as he weaved through the haystack of citizens, but in the blink of an eye, his body was swallowed by the sea of merry northerners and she was a needle. She pushed her way through them to catch up, but it only grabbed the attention of a group of men who were already slurring their words. One of them blocked her path and threw his arm around her.

"Well, hey, little lady!"

"Don't touch me." She shrugged him off.

"Ah, come on, I'm just being friendly."

"Back off!" She shoved his chest when he made another move, stirring a roar of laughter from his friends. However, it only encouraged him to try harder, and when she attempted to push past him, he imprisoned her in his arms, squeezing her wounded one.

"Don't you like dancing?" he slurred while lifting her off the ground and twirling.

"Put me down!" She kicked and managed to knee him in the crotch.

His arms gave way, causing her to slam onto the hard concrete floor with a volt of pain zipping up her tailbone. Seeing red, she scrambled to her feet and did a roundhouse kick to his chest, stumbling him over his own boots. The people around them who were busy in conversations turned to see what the commotion was. She flashed her eyes nervously while scanning their curious, crooked brows. Too much attention had been drawn, which meant potential questions could be raised - starting with how someone like her learned to do such an impressive kick.

"Woah, take it easy," the man's friend said. "He was just having a good time."

"Well, then he shouldn't have put his hands on me..." She surveyed for a path of escape and saw a ripple in the crowd. Through the sea of heads, Magnus was shoving his way through.

"What's going on here?"

"She drop-kicked Willy." One of them pointed an accusatory finger.

"Estera, you did what?"

"I was defending myself! He put his hands on me and wouldn't let me pass."

This produced a wrinkle across his forehead as his eyes went from Estera to Willy, and a deep, low growl rippled from his throat. "Don't you ever lay a hand on her again. She's half your size. What the hell were you thinking?"

"We were just having a good time."

"Estera, were you having a good time?"

"No. He hurt my arm." She hugged it to her chest.

"Willy, did you not see that she's injured?"

"I guess I wasn't really paying attention, but I mean, we're all just having a good time, and-"

Magnus held up his hand. "I don't want to hear excuses."

"I'm sorry, man."

"Don't apologize to me, apologize to her."

"I... I'm sorry, Ester."

"It's Estera," she corrected.

"Right." Willy shook his head. "I'm sorry."

"Listen," Magnus addressed the onlookers. "We can all have a good time, just not at the expense of hurting others. Got it?" When the crowd murmured that they agreed, he took Estera's hand. "Come on. I won't lose you this time."