Resiliance

A crimson hued predator with teeth and twin horns, attracted by the cries of easy prey.

That was what answered Charlie's cries for aid.

Not her sisters.

Not her mate.

Her pack left her, all alone.

Her family left her, all alone.

Charlie's neck craned, head swiveling in a better attempt to see the new threat that encroached upon the sanctum of her pack's nesting ground. The green striped female's scaled lips curled back in a snarl, serrated teeth displaying. A growl riveted from the the female's cream colored neck, throat muscles spasming. A hiss, then an enraged scream tore from Charlie's throat, leg muscles tensing and straining, attempting to rise from her nest.

The stabbing like pain within her belly stopped her, the green striped Raptor released a strained groan, which she attempted to keep quiet.

Attempted to put on a bravado of aggression and rage, and not one of fear and pain.

Charlie only hoped the quiver in her scream wasn't heard by the the larger red beast.

She saw it's kind before.

She saw them, sometimes, scavenging the kills from the Scarred One.

Or even being chased off their killed by her.

The horned predator suppressed a growl from its throat, jaws opening wide to released a throaty, almost raspy call in response. It's muscular chest expanded with each deep breath it took, arms tiny and pressed flat to its body. The beast briefly shook its head, as if displaying its horns in threat before it took a step closer. The ground briefly quaked from the monster's weight, its eyes tiny, and beady.

That was the thing that scared Charlie the most.

Charlie could read another just by looking at another's eyes. Where they flickered and focused upon, how long they lingered, how long they diverted from attention, if they were glossed over with feral rage, or pain, or fear-even lust. She could see many things just be looking at her sisters' eyes. And they could see many things about her, too.

But with this beast-it's eyes were too small to see. Too beady to study.

All Charlie saw was horns and teeth.

Teeth that were jagged and broken, others that were just growing in after the previous fell out. Strands of old flesh were caked between its teeth, or even around the base towards the gums.

Charlie could read eyes well.

But she could also read teeth well, too.

Because teeth and claws and horns were simple.

Teeth were unfeeling and merciless.

Claws were sharp and deadly.

Horns were crushing and piercing.

Eyes held many things.

Teeth and claws and horns held nothing but mercilessness.

Looking upon the beast's teeth, the way they swayed as the red monster moved in stride-it was almost hypnotic. Watching as the saliva shimmered in the sunlight that trickled down through the canopy, sparkling and glistening in a pattern to the beast's approaching gait.

Charlie was only brought to reality when the quake of the horned monster's footfalls caused a tremor to be felt.

But even then, looking into its beady eyes now visible-it didn't feel real.