The Alpha

Today was a playful day for the pack.

It was 'Hunt Amethyst Day'.

Which just happened to be any day the sisters were bored, and not sleepy, hungry or tired. It was a day the females took advantage of their mate's massive size, and used their smaller, more lithe builds to stalk, and ambush.

As of now, the purple hued male stood among tall grasses, body lowered, clawed arms pawing and raking an old, hallowed log. Amethyst's killing claws dully pierced into the earth with a thud, head cocking and feathers rising slightly in perplexity. He could not get the log to roll, no matter how hard he tried. A quiet, confused chitter escaped the Utahraptor as he once more grasped and raked at the dead tree, muscular arms tensing to try and move the object. After a brief exhale of breath, the alpha decided to give up using his arms.

A low rumble escaped from his throat as a clawed hand rose to idly scratch his jaw, the sound of claw upon scale audible. After a brief shake of his head, and a sudden erection of his feathered crown, Amethyst ceased his itching. His muscular arm lowered, and his feathers slowly moved to lay flat.

The male's golden eyes flicked to the dead prey that lay beside him, circular pupils narrowing in the bright rays of the sun.

Today was a good day today. The Island of Nublar was bright and peaceful, puffy clouds floating lazily within the sky, breeze soft and day warm.

It was a good day for relaxing.

And it was a good day for hunting.

Which was why the alpha male was attempting to hide his recent kill, however small. The Utahraptor had a habit of storing surplus prey and hiding it. He would hide prey in any location he deemed suitable-a tree, the ground, or under a rock. Even in a hallowed out log. Though Amethyst was much less interested in stuffing his prey inside as he was interested in digging and cramming the surplus underneath the log.

Amethyst's distracted state, unfortunately, was just what his hunter desired.

Because it was 'Hunt Amethyst Day'.

The male just didn't know about it yet.

Belly low slung to the ground, claws poised and leg muscles tense, a sister watched the oblivious male from the safety of her shadowed domain. Golden eyes sharpening and focusing upon her prey, the sister shifted her powerful legs in preparation to strike.

At first, there was nothing but faint, steady noise. Nothing but the gentle sound of the wind blowing the tall grasses, and the raking of the vivid hued male's claws through the roots and dirt whilst he dug.

The peace of the day was broken by a shrill scream as a sister launched herself forward, and slammed onto Amethyst's back.

The force of such a sudden weight upon him caused the large male to shriek in start, and tumble forward onto the log. The fall caused Charlie to roll forward off of her mate, the green striped female landing with a slight grunt upon her back.

Upon recovering from the ambush attack, Amethyst shook his head, golden eyes narrowing upon the green striped sister, pupils small. Charlie looked up upon her mate, cream colored belly showing as she peeled back her scaled lips, and produced a series of chitters and chirps that sounded more akin to laugh. The female playfully swung her feet to lightly kick at the male, her arms pawing.

Amethyst closed his eyes as the small female clawed him. The Utahraptor releasing a bark in play, huffing as his thick neck bent forward, and his snout gave a swift boop of her neck.

The vivid hued male booped his mate again-this time Charlie's belly-which was now slim from a lack of eggs, if still sporting more adipose.

Charlie took advantage of her mate's position to bat upon his head, clawed fingers raking through some of the feathers upon his head.