Prologue

Blinding, bright, white light encompassed my vision as I felt my eyes open slowly.

The familiar, sickly smell of the Hospital air greeted me, nauseating me, making me feel trapped- contained.

Like I would never escape from that hell.

"Someone alert the doctor that patient 69 has woken up!" The hushed voices of many people surrounded me, hurried footsteps could be heard coming from the hallway.

"Little girl, can you hear me?"

I blinked once.

"What number am I holding up?" The person questioned, holding his hand up, all five fingers extended to show the number '5'.

I blinked 5 times.

That was all that I remembered before I felt my eyelids getting heavy, and in a flash, the darkness enclosed me.
~~~

Weeks later, the girl found herself at an Orphanage.

She watched the other children play and run around her, laughing happily and joking around without a care in the world. A look of longing and pain flashed in her eyes as she saw the happy sight in front of her. A part of her wanted to join in, however, she knew that she was too unwanted, and all she would do in the end, was ruin their fun.

===

???POV

I observed from the side, looking at the children playing happily at the playground together.

'Ah, what innocent and cute little children.' I thought, a gentle smile tugging at my lips.

However, that was when I noticed something.

Turning my head to the side, I noticed a petite little girl. Her long jet-black hair flowing gently in the wind as I noticed her staring at the other children with a forlorn look in her amber coloured eyes.

'Hmm? Why isn't she joining the other kids?' I thought, trying my hardest to recall her name.

Ah that's right. She's the young girl that had recently recovered in the Hospital.

I thought back to what was said before she left the Hospital.
----
[Flashback]

"Um miss, before you leave, please be especially careful with her." The nurse that was in charge of her said.

I tilted my head, signalling for her to continue.

"Well you see, none of us here knows what happened, but basically..." She paused. Looking at me in acknowledgement for her to continue.

"Go ahead..." I said.

"When the brain registers an overwhelming trauma, it represses the memories into the unconscious mind and is thus blocked from normal consciousness recall. It seems that that's what's happening to her. That's why you have to be very careful with your words when talking to her. If you mention anything to do with the trauma that she has experienced , the memories might resurface, and who knows, she might never be saved anymore." The nurse explained with a sad smile on her face.

"Alright. I promise I will take good care of her." With that, I returned the smile and grabbed her tiny hand gently.

The little girl flinched back as if she was being electrocuted, but after a coaxing smile from the nurse, she anxiously placed her palm in mine.