Chapter 13

"Why do we have to have a ball like every week?" Deva whined as they made their way down the majestic trail leading to the garden maze.

Adamarius kept a fair distance behind her, not able to control his prying eyes from admiring her swaying hips.

"You are going to be queen, Deva. Everyone is interested to see you. This ball is for the other Kings to finally meet you."

Deva swallowed and stopped. She hated being the stoplight. "What if I happen to be sick that day?"

She would honestly do anything to get out of another ball.

Adamarius started to laugh as he cupped her face and kissed her nose. "Oh pet that excuse won't work anymore. You're a hybrid; you're stronger than anything that exists on this planet."

She pouted.

"Once you become Queen you can control the amount of balls you celebrate."

That put a smile on her face. Adamarius shook his head at her instant simple joy.

"I thought girls loved to dress up and dance with their prince charming."

Deva snorted. "You try wearing high heels longer than two hours."

Adamarius smirked and laced their fingers together before pulling her along the path again. They headed towards the wooden bench located at the entrance of the maze.

"What if they don't like me?" She barely whispered.

This particular ball was going to have the Kings of the other kingdoms join together.

He turned back once he heard her innocent distraught voice.

"Deva they would have to be blind, deaf, and mentally handicapped to not love you."

Her lips curved up but not as much as Adamarius would have liked.

"Beautiful listen to me," Adamarius' hand went up around her neck to force her to look at him. "They are vampire Kings who worked for centuries to bring fear into their people with the whisper of their names. They like to intimidate people because it is in their nature to have power. And you..."

He paused to kiss her mocking lips.

"You are Queen. You are the new generation. Don't let them frighten you. Show them how powerful and fearless you can be. You can't let them push you around."

Deva's brow rose in a devious fashion. "You don't think I'm scary enough?"

Adamarius kissed her forehead and continued walking. "Oh yes. I'm petrified by your red colored nails; cherry glossed lips, and curled hair. You just ooze 'fear me'."

His playful sarcasm would not go unpunished. Deva jumped on his back and tightly wrapped her legs around his torso. Adamarius laughed, hoisting her up to get a better grip.

Her lips found his ear where she bit down, hard.

"Is that any way to speak to your Queen?" Her soft seducing voice whispered.

 He chuckled. "You're going to have to do better than that."

Darius stood from afar and watched Deva and Adamarius' playful exchange. He wanted to rip his eyes out for even looking their way. He still had an ache in his heart every time he saw her with Adamarius. He wanted her to be happy, she deserved it but Darius couldn't help the way he boiled up every time he saw them touch.

He watched as Adamarius tackled her to the ground and began to trail kisses against her soft skin. It felt like someone was slowly and agonizingly tearing his heart out.  He remembered the way if felt to kiss her soft skin because nothing felt more close to heaven. And when he held her in his arms everything else disappeared. He hated himself for letting her down and not being the man to needed.