Chapter Thirty-One

Lyra thought that day would be just like any other. She'd eat a delicious breakfast with Lucius and they'd discuss the last letters Draco had sent them. Then he'd leave and be gone for most of the day. She'd either go meet with the Order or with one of her friends/political connections. But, as fate would have it, that wouldn't happen.

Lucius hadn't been gone for only a few hours that day. He had left the night before and still hadn't returned. Lyra knew she should trust him and have faith that he was alright, but if she wouldn't hear anything soon then she would try to get in touch with the Minister. 

To try and calm her nerves, she had decided to finally pick up the Daily Prophet for news that morning. She thought she'd see the same old, some sort of smear campaign on Harry and Dumbledore, along with some fluff pieces to ease the minds of every witch and wizard in Britain. But that's not what she saw. 

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN
MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS "RALLYING POINT"
FOR OLD DEATH EATERS 

 The Ministry of Magic announced late last night that there has been a mass breakout from Azkaban. Speaking to reporters in his private office, Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, confirmed that ten high-security prisoners escaped in the early hours of yesterday evening, and that he has already informed the Muggle Prime Minister of the dangerous nature of these individuals. 

"We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Sirius Black escaped," said Fudge last night. "Nor do we think the two breakouts are unrelated. An escape of this magnitude suggests outside help, and we must remember that Black, as the first person ever to break out of Azkaban, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Black's cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, have rallied around Black as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached."

Lyra felt like she had gotten all the breath knocked out of her. Bellatrix was out of Azkaban. She hadn't seen her sister in over a decade, and for good reason. She was a psychotic woman who loved causing pain and she can't have gotten any saner throughout her tenure around the Dementors. 

But the fact that Bellatrix had been broken out wasn't her only worry. Her sister may be crazy, but she doesn't hurt her family members without reason (Sirius did not count as a family member in her eyes, however, so she quickly made a mental note to make sure they never came face to face). 

Who else had the Death Eaters broken out? If Bellatrix was out, then her husband surely was as well. And if Rodoplhus was free, then she might as well assume his brother was. That was an old friend she hadn't mentally prepared herself to see ever again. The last time she saw him he looked like he was losing his mind. That mind must have been completely lost by now. 

Lyra barely had the opportunity to digest the news when someone burst into her fireplace with the help of Floo powder. Instinctively, she grabbed her wand from her robes, afraid she might have to use it if it was one of the Azkaban escapees. 

To her great relief, it was one of her saner sisters. Narcissa frowned deeply as she noticed the wand pointed in her face. "Good to see you, too, Lyra. I guess you've heard the news."

"I just read it in the Prophet," Lyra spoke quietly, lowering her wand. "Do you know who's escaped? I know it was Bella as much as the thought might terrify me. But do you know any of the other nine?"