Chapter Forty-Five

Lyra had never been the type to chew on her fingernails before. Which was strange, considering she had had some nervous tendencies throughout her life. She'd also had many reasons to be nervous before. But never had she felt nervousness physically pained as it did that night. And, before she knew it, she had chewed at them for hours. 

They must have been done by now. Whatever had happened at Hogwarts must be over, as they were several hours into the night. But yet there was no sign of her son. She thought he would come straight home afterwards, no matter the outcome. The only way he wouldn't was if he was hurt. She tried to push the thought out her mind. She'd deal with that if need be. There was no need to break down unless she knew something had happened. 

She hadn't been able to sleep. She was sure she would the darkest circles of her life underneath her eyes the next day. But how could she even consider laying down? Before the morning came, her son would either be a murderer or a boy in immediate danger because he had disobeyed the Dark Lord. 

The door to Malfoy Manor opened. It wasn't someone knocking or politely coming to see her. It was opened with such dramatic vigor that one of two scenarios must have been happening. Either the Aurors had come for her once again or it was Draco, putting his dramatic Black genes to use. 

She got up from her seat, desperately hoping it was the latter. She opened the door to entrance hall, where two men were walking in the door. They both looked shaken, dirty and like they had had a long night. She could understand that, seeing as they were who they were. 

"Draco? Severus?" Lyra asked, her face tense as she looked at the both of them. Draco looked pained and tired, and it broke her heart. He didn't meet her gaze, only staring at the ground as if he had seen something horrible. She was sure he had. She just hoped he hadn't done something horrible. 

"Lyra," Snape greeted her, his face not betraying any emotion. She wished he did, so she could have some kind of hint as to what had happened. Sure, Draco looked sad, but he had done so for a year now. "I can't stay. I thought I'd drop Draco off before I give my rapport to the Dark Lord."

"Is he..." The blonde swallowed a lump in her throat. "Is he dead?"

Snape made sure to stay stoic, his face as emotionless as usual. "Yes."

Lyra clenched her jaw, not wanting to ask the next question as she watched Draco and the damaged look on his face. But she knew she had to know, if she didn't know then she couldn't be there him. "And did he-?"

The dark-haired Professor cut her off, knowing exactly what she wanted to do. His shoulders tensed up as he answered. "I did."

She let out a breath, slightly relieved. Though she wasn't happy Dumbledore had been killed, there was a selfish relief in knowing that her son wasn't a murder. He hadn't lost all his innocence. 

Snape pursed his lips for a moment, casting a quick glance to his traumatized young student once again. He knew he had to leave to see the Dark Lord once he returned from his mission, and didn't have time to stay. "Well, I'll see you later."

He turned around, prepared to walk out of the house when she called out, stopping him in his tracks. "Severus! Thank you."

He turned his head, looking at her. He was surprised to see her look at him with such kind eyes after all the issues they had had over the years, though he supposed he had earned her gratitude for protecting her son. He looked a bit uncomfortable for a moment, but sent her a tense nod before walking out of the house. 

It was quiet in the manor, except for Draco's heavy breathing. Beads of sweat were running down his forehead, as he had to run and escape the Order of the Phoenix before they could get away from Hogwarts.