Chapter 25: "Popular?"

At Goode High, Annabeth and Percy were at the opposite of the social ladder.

At the very top, Percy was a swimmer, popular handsome. He was the most popular guy in the whole school. He talked with everyone, knew everyone.

At the very bottom, Annabeth was a cute nerd, who was often seen in the school's library.

They had never been seen talking to one another and the whole school assumed they didn't know about one another. How wrong they were! Annabeth and Percy were both very much in love and had been dating each other for more than a year.

It all started when Annabeth decided to move to NYC. During the flight, she thought about her life, how almost every good memory she had was with Percy, even before they were dating. A question kept popping in her head: was she dependent on him? Her pride told her that no, of course not but her brain truly didn't know.

If the daughter of Athena hated something, it was to rely on something. Before Percy, she had had her whole life planned: high school, college, and then an architect.

Her plane landed and took her baggage, a grey suitcase, which was full of books and some of her clothes. Annabeth didn't really care for fashion, in fact, the clothing item she had the most was the camp's T-shirt.

She left the airport and saw a tall, jet black-hair man, a pair of sunglasses on. Percy. He grinned and ran to her, taking her in his arms. They had not seen each other for more than a month. Even IM was not the same.

Annabeth and Percy were not a couple that showed a lot of PDA. Sure, they did kiss now and then, they held each other's hand, but they would not make out in front of everyone, except on rare occasions. This was one of those.

Percy insisted to carry her suitcase and after he had begged her with her puppy eyes, she accepted. No, she could resist those puppy eyes. She really could, but she was not in the mood today.

They both walked to the car, a magnificent grey Chrysler. He had chosen the color to remind him of Annabeth's color, although the car was a little darker. He put her luggage in the trunk and started to drive.

"So. Couldn't survive without your amazing boyfriend?" he joked, not knowing the dilemma Annabeth was facing.

"Actually..." Annabeth chose her words carefully. "You know it's the first time I ever went to high school? I would like to try my chance. Alone." His eyes left the road, resting on her confusedly.

"If I go with you, I'll be a friend with your friend. I would like to try, at least for a little time, to have my own friends."

"Okay. You went all the way from California to get here to see me and now you are here, you want us not to hand out together at school? I'm confused."

"Pretend we don't know each other, that's what I ask." she tried to explain. She looked at him for the first time and saw he was watching the road, not wanting to meet her eyes.

"That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard Annabeth! We finally have a chance to see each other more than a vacation and now we have to pretend we don't know each other?" he sighed, not understanding.

"It's just a game. Only for school. When I have my friends, we can hang out all we want. At home, we can do what we want. I just want to have my chance." she insisted, putting her hand off his knee, which she learned a little while ago was a way to break his resolve. "I'm home. I'm all yours. If it's too hard, we can stop." she promised.

He sighed again and turned his eyes looking at her. She could see the love in his eyes, and she knew he would accept. "Fine." he ceded. "But if it's too hard, we start instantly and I'm still not a fan."