PART NINETEEN

I apologize for how short this one is😬 I hope you all are staying healthy and being more productive than I am😂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     Even though I haven't been up for very long, I decide to spend the morning in bed.
Thankfully, no more flashbacks attempt to throw my world out of balance while I'm napping.
                                     ~~~~
I wake up and, having skipped breakfast, find myself extremely hungry.
I put on my shoes and rush down the stairs, bursting through the Homestead door and making for the kitchen before remembering: Newt.
     In hopes that he doesn't see me before I see him, I glance around nervously.
     I spot him quickly and, to my relief, see that his back is to me.
     But then I realize he's sitting all alone, separate from the other Gladers who are hovering around the kitchen, waiting for Fry to serve lunch. No doubt he's missing my help right about now.
     Out of instinct, I start toward Newt, but when he turns his head to the side and I catch a glimpse of his face, I stop dead in my tracks.
Oh. My. Goodness.
     I've known for a while that I generally liked Newt, but...
     This is the first time I've seen him since Thomas explained everything to me.
     I guess things are going to be different now because the mere sight of him floods me with feelings I was not prepared for or expecting.
     One tiny memory, then one moment—just one second—of seeing Newt, and I'm practically head over heels.
     Why are you like this? I ask myself, sighing.
     Then I finally notice what Newt was looking at: Gally, walking toward him. Even from this distance I can tell that Newt is not in the mood.
Then again, when is anyone ever in the mood for Gally?
     I hesitate but eventually force myself to keep going, if only to keep Gally away from Newt.
Gally walks up to him and notices that something's off. Taking advantage of the opportunity to mess with him, Gally asks with fake concern, "What's wrong, Newt?"
"Nothing." I can barely hear Newt's weak reply as I approach.
Gally makes an infuriatingly annoying frowny face. "Did you break up with your girlfriend?"
Newt is on his feet in a second, standing face to face with Gally as I jog the last few yards.
"Newt," I call softly when I'm finally standing next to them.
They both turn toward me in surprise, neither of them having noticed me approaching.
"Y/N," Newt says, stepping away from Gally, his attention shifting completely to me.
I swallow. "Can we talk?" I ask quietly.
"Ooh, this could be interesting..." Gally says with a smirk.
I whirl around to face him. "Alone."
     He holds up his hands and starts backing away, still grinning. "I'll leave you to it then."
     As I watch him leave, I notice that a few other Gladers are also looking at us. Newt notices, too.
     "We should go to the Lookout Tree, yeah?" he asks, breaking our silence.
     "Um, sure," I whisper, looking down shyly and letting him lead the way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As usual, I welcome any suggestions in the comments! Tell me what you think should happen next!