Servant to Two Masters

I spend the next few days assisting my father in his rounds. Everything was going well until father and I had an argument that kept me in low spirits.

With the argument in mind I take my bike and make my way to the University, not wanting to be late. It was as I made my way there that I am surprised by a familiar voice calling out my name in the park.

"Miss Murray! Five minutes early today."

"Oh!" I yell when I see him stopping my bike immediately "Mr Grayson!"

"Did I startle you?" he asks making his way to my side.

"No, I was just..." I didn't even know what to say "What in the world are you doing here?" I don't think I have ever seen him in the park before.

"Same as everyone else." he says looking around to all the people in the park. "Sunshine is a rare treat. May I?" he asks extending his hand to help be get down from my bike.

I smile as I take it, and together we make our way trough the park.

"You know, it should be a crime not to smile on so beautiful a day

"You know, it should be a crime not to smile on so beautiful a day."he says when he sees the frown on my face "So, what's troubling you? If you'd rather not say, I..."

"No, no, it's quite all right." I reassured him, perhaps it would do me well to share this with someone "I was assisting my father on his rounds at the hospital and we had an argument. Life at Bethlem can be relentlessly bleak. The days can be so monotonous.What if that kind of tedium hinders their recovery?"

"They should dance." he answers confident

"What?" I ask surprised and slightly amused.

"Dance. Energy. Gets the blood pumping." he explains

"What an idea!" I say, that does actually make sense. "How did you ever think of that?"

"I like to dance." he confesses. I chuckle.

"Father does not, it might take some convincing."

"Oh, I'm sure you can be very persuasive."

"And obstinate. One of my many flaws." I reveal "And yours?" I ask curious

He stops walking and contemplates his answer for a few seconds.

"A long memory. Impatience. Envy." he enumerates

"What could you possibly desire that is not already yours for the taking?" I ask him smiling kindly at him. He smiles back, his eyes telling me so many things but I would wait until he acts on them before doing anything myself.

I continue making my way to the University before I am late for class. Alexander doesn't follow me, although I could feel his eyes on my back as I walked away from him. I could not wait to tell father about the idea of having a small party for the patients, surely that would up their spirits.