three; day of the dead

chapter three; day of the dead

Two days. Eleanor had only been in Hawkins for two days. Two gruelingly long days. Both Chambers men were losing their minds. It shook them to see the woman who causes so much pain sitting on their couch. The couch in their home they made without her. Teddy didn't want to be at home anymore. He refused. Not when she was there. It was his own fault really, as much as his father disagreed. He was the one who let her stay after all... and yet, she hadn't acted up in her time there

The mall became his escape. Anywhere in Hawkins became his escape. Anywhere Eleanor wasn't, the Chambers tried to be. Thomas and Teddy started to have their father-son time at the mall or literally anywhere else in their small town. Hell, Teddy found himself the previous evening playing a board game with his father at Hawkins Post meeting room with takeaway on the table. The day before, Steve let Thomas and Teddy into the backroom at Scoop's. They enjoyed free ice cream (Thomas with a mint chip milkshake and Teddy with simple vanilla) and Robin's company.

Robin Buckley, Steve's coworker at Scoops Ahoy. Teddy loved her. She was funny, mocked Steve on the occasion... but it was still funny. She was personable, dorky, made Teddy feel welcome. Thomas liked her too. She loved their company. Since she had the tendency to ramble on just like Teddy, Thomas listened intently to whatever she had to say without seeming bored. Robin's eyes brightened upon realizing some adult actually wanted to hear what she said. Robin and Thomas, with Teddy listening and chiming in every so often, talked about conspiracy theories for the rest of the night, much to Steve's displeasure having the scoop by himself for most of it.

The nights were amazing without Eleanor. She tried to invite herself both times, but Thomas refused every time. He, for the most part, learned to stand up for his son and himself... which he should've done to begin with. He wouldn't let her close to him to manipulate him like that day and ushered Teddy away. She whined about how "they needed to become a whole family" for Thomas to only say they still needed time. She was there for weeks, right? She had plenty of time to wait.

Tonight, Teddy was not with his father. Instead, his friends decided to see a brand new movie: Day of the Dead. It wasn't Teddy's movie of choice, he still didn't like horror movies at all, but hey, a free movie was a free movie. Should it have been free? Probably not... correction, definitely not, but when Steve had access to the back halls that led directly to the movies and he struggled to say no to any of his kids, it equaled free movies.

The party planned to meet at least 30 minutes before the start time of the movie to themselves through the mall with plenty of time to watch the previews at the start. However... things don't always go to plan. Max, Teddy, Lucas, and Will waited outside under the mall's neon lights near the bike racks as they had been since their original meeting time. They waited for what felt like forever. They grew impatient, ready to leave the one person they were waiting on.