Chapter 6: An old hat

Hermione was waiting for (Y/n) outside of the compartment looking annoyed.

"What?" asked (Y/n) innocently. "I thought it was a good joke" she simply just rolled her eyes and walked back to their compartment. (Y/n) followed behind her.

After a short while of talking with Hermione the train finally stopped. "Finally" exclaimed (Y/n) "I was getting impatient" Hermione just rolled her eyes and followed him out the compartment and off the train.

In the distance there was a tall man holding a lantern calling out "Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" Directing the new students toward a fleet of small boats. "No more than four ter a boat now" (Y/n) got into a boat with Hermione Neville and an another girl he didn't know. Then he saw it coming out of the distance. The large looming shape of a huge castle. "There it is! There's Hogwarts!" Shouted another kid excitedly. "Really!" Shouted (Y/n) trying to sound panicked. "Oh shoot I thought it was Durmstrang! I'm supposed to be going to Durmstrang!" A few people let out a laugh, some just glared at him, most just ignored him.

"Now then make sure ye got all yer things" Said the giant man whose name was Hagrid. "Wait jus' a moment, anyone los' a toad?" "Trevor!" Cried out Neville relieved. This brought a small to (Y/n)'s face, he hoped good things would happen to Neville. He liked Neville.

After this Hagrid brought them to a woman in green robes. "This 'ere are the firs' years professor" "Thank you Hagrid. Now then follow me first years" Said the professor. She lead them into the castle where they stopped before two large wooden doors. "Now then before you begin your time at Hogwarts you will be sorted into your house, this will be like your family while you are here at Hogwarts. Do well at Hogwarts and you will earn points for your house, however any misdemeanors will result in the loss of points. Now there are four houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw. Each house is good in its own right. Now then form a neat line now." Said the professor. (Y/n) wasn't really paying attention to much he was drifting in and out of her speech.

As the door open (Y/n) saw a giant hall with four tables evenly spaced out, he assumed these were for the houses. He heard Hermione say something about the ceiling, but he was to absorbed with the grandeur of the hall. At the front of the hall was an old tattered hat sitting on top of a stool. Suddenly a rip near the brim of hat opened up into what looked like a mouth and the hat started to talk. (Y/n) still wasn't paying much attention but the hat preformed a song. It was a nice song thought (Y/n) something about a bowler hat and how this hand didn't have hands. "Weird" thought (Y/n) "probably should have payed attention"

"Now then when I call your name you will come up, sit on the stool, put on the hat, and be sorted into your house." Said the professor "Abbot Hannah!" She called. A blond haired girl made her way up to the front and put the hat on. After a pause the hat shouted out "HUFFLEPUFF!" There was a cheer from one of the tables.

This went on for a while (Y/n) didn't pay attention he already knew which house he would be in. He only payed attention for Hermione and Neville, both of which were sorted into Gryffindor. Finally his name was called.

"(L/n), (Y/n)"

He made his way up to the front stumbled a bit and tried to play it off as if he meant to do it bowing to all the people and waved, which earned him a loud laugh from the hall. He down onto the stool and the hat was placed onto his head.

For a second there was nothing suddenly there was a voice inside his head "ahhh another       (L/n) I see well looks like it'll be Slyth- hmm no that not quite right. You've got the blood of a Slytherin, but also the heart of a Gryffindor you'd do well there, I can see you're brave and loyal. But with a bright mind, hmmm, perhaps Ravenclaw then? Maybe Hufflepuff they do accept all" Said the voice of the sorting hat "well which is it then?" Asked (Y/n) in his head.

"What's taking so long?" Called a voice from the hall. "We all know he'll be a Slytherin" the hat ignores them. "Well what will it be young (Y/n). Will you follow your heart of your blood?"